Interesting turquoise inset on a cuff

An acquaintance of mine sent me some pics of a couple pieces that may be up for sale soon. I’m intrigued by the cuff on the right. It doesn’t appear to be Native American, but then what could it be? Tibetan? As a gardener I love the flower motif. Not sure if there are any hallmarks on it. I may be able to see it in person this weekend. I’m curious to get the groups take on it. Appreciate any input!

2 Likes

I can see why you’d think of Tibetan for this very unusual bracelet. But it’s so inept in design and execution that I would hurry away from it whatever its origins. It’s almost as if it started life as a shadowbox bracelet, then the center fell out and someone improvised a glued-in piece for it. There’s no relationship of the turquoise thingy to the bezel/framing, and the carving is also a mishmash. The sides are a bit more adeptly managed.

Since you asked, my vote: save your money!

4 Likes

Thank you @chicfarmer I love your brutally honest and colorful assessments and, as always, appreciate your expertise. You crack me up!

4 Likes

:smiley: I do it with the intention of being constructive, to encourage the building of discrimination. It’s the journey we all take. For me, it goes back to the great connoisseur of American furniture, Albert Sack, who talked about recognizing “good-better-best.” This applies to the vast array of what’s for sale in any discipline, and certainly for the sea of Native jewelry being resold.

At the same time I’m always interested to hear if my take is out of whack, and why, with details.

5 Likes

I love the cuff.
It reminds me of Tramp Art.

1 Like

You could really injure yourself on that cuff.
Look at those pointy edges!

1 Like

Thank you @fernwood .
It definitely appealed to the Bohemian that runs thru my veins. I’m still going to view it in person just to see if I can figure out it’s story and see what kind of energy it possesses. I know, I know…like they say in the movie Christine…“You can’t polish a turd.”

3 Likes

I think it’s good you’re going to view it in person. Seems to me items can look better in a photo, but when you actually see them IRL is when you’ll know if it’s worth it or not. I don’t know how many times I’ve looked at something, even through a glass case in a store, thought I would like it, took it out and put it on, and went meh, not so much.

2 Likes