Is it possible to unstabilize turquoise?

Hello,

Is it possible to unstabilize turquoise?

Perhaps putting it in 100% acetone overnight.

Or burning it over a flame?

well,plastic will melt but the remains wouldn’t be worth spit.

1 Like

I tbink it’ll destroy the polish and harm the finish on a real stone. It will surely come out looking worse for a test of that type.

2 Likes

I would say if your simply trying to tell if a piece is stabilized or not, do the hot pin test, also just run the outside of the stone with acetone with a q tip for 30 sec and see what happens. A non stabilized stone will have no effect with either method. Otherwise, it doesn’t make sense to destabilize a stone as it’s inherently worth more stabilized and the material wouldn’t be able to be reworked I’d imagine.

Everyone is correct. Any attempt to remove the stabilization will destroy the stone. Turquoise is stabilized to take a lesser quality stone and make it strong enough to be cut and polished. If you want at stone without resin it best to replace what you have with a natural stone. Kyle

2 Likes

Thank you all for your replies. Anyone know any reputable 100% non stabilized turquoise seller?

Ummmm

No.

Why would you do that?

Any modifications reduce the value of the piece. Enjoy it for what it is. M

2 Likes

I would enjoy it without any stabilization.

Tell me what your looking for. I may have some. I have a few natural tumbled stones for sale on eBay at Greatrocks123.

Thank you but I am needing them in a ring form. I have two sellers that sell natural stones according to them but needing them in a mens ring.

1 Like