Is this seafoam, sleeping beauty? I don’t know

This is made by H. Spencer but I don’t know much about the turquoise. In the matrix I see light refraction bounce off a maybe pyrite, diamond?, or gold.

When I used my loupe it’s beautiful close up. It’s fun to look at as it looks very gemmy.

Maybe y’all geniuses can help

2 Likes

Hi @Blackturtlehawk I agree, nice robins egg blue turquoise! When I first looked at this I thought Kingman. And I think I can see the the crystals you saw, likely pyrite which is seen in Kingman. I’ve posted these previously, but I’m attaching a photo of older Kingman nuggets with obvious pyrite crystals. They were purchased from an older man who obtained them back in the 50’s.
Although the definition of what is considered sea-foam varies from person to person, I wouldn’t call your nugget sea-foam. To my mind, sea-foam is characterized by distinctive smooth nodules (bubbles) over the surface; I’d call yours a nugget. I’d love to hear other opinions.

And, just FYI, this is what I call seafoam:

4 Likes

@Bmpdvm you have a great eye by being able to see the crystals! Kingman ok kingman it is!! You make me appreciate it much more with your added information!!

1 Like

@Bmpdvm ok this is what is called seafoam!! Thank you for education now I have a better understanding of what to look for. Is it a rare occurrence for seafoam turquoise or a common growth habit?

1 Like

@Bmpdvm so botryoidal formation’s would be considered seafoam?

2 Likes

Yes, exactly! It will be interesting to see if there are other thoughts

1 Like

I’m attaching a picture of my cuff that was nearby.

4 Likes

@Islandmomma Wow…great bracelet and example of seafoam. I’ve not seen many pieces of jewelry with such large seafoam nuggets.

1 Like

This is an older one. It has an etched signature Michael Montana or Montano? Hougart’s lists a M. Montana active since the 70’s. I posted it on here several years ago. When I bought it there was some mention of him being involved with the jewelry in “Dances with Wolves”. However, I have no proof and haven’t spent a lot of time trying to prove it.
I have a bolo too but can’t decide if it’s really seafoam or not. It’s more blue and could have just been rubbed a lot. I’ll add a picture. The lighting has this looking more green. Next to the cuff it looks blue.

2 Likes

What? Guess I can Google, but never heard that word before!

1 Like

Interesting history, especially with the possible link to Dances with Wolves! Also great bolo…I’d call this one of those “on the cusp” of bring seafoam, regardless it’s a great old piece. I love the setting. Thanks for posting these again, since I’m a newby to the forum, I haven’t seen a lot of older posts. Thanks

1 Like

Agree with @Bmpdvm about it looking similar to Kingman nugget. I’ve got a ring in which the stone looks kinda like yours.

I suspect mine is stabilized, because so much Kingman is.

2 Likes