Is this turquoise? Does it look antique? Labeled 925, sterling silver

1 Like

Not 100% sure this is turquoise; if it is, I would think it’s Chinese turquoise. It doesn’t look Native American to me, nor antique.

3 Likes

Ok what part makes you unsure if it is or isnt? I mean, have you been able to tell by looking at other peoples photos that your sure theirs is turqoise? What part to you doesn’t look Native American about it and can you tell me why you think the stones aren’t antique? I understand it’s all your opinion but I am just trying to understand your reasoning behind it

1 Like

@AV I personally wouldn’t consider this necklace antique. It has a modern clasp, for one. Also, in my opinion, the 2 small clear crystal beads don’t lend themselves to being part of an antique piece of fine jewelry. I certainly can’t claim to know the age of the necklace, but I think the general rule-of-thumb for antique jewelry is that it’s ar least 100 years old.

7 Likes

The clear end beads appear modern. The end crimp bead is also modern. The lobster claw clasp is fairly modern. It appears to be strung with fishing line or other material that is modern.
The beads appear to be mostly unform in shape and size.

I could purchase all materials from Michaels craft store and make an identical one to this.

I have been making Southwest style jewelry since the 1980’s. Have purchased authentic Native jewelry from the artists and others since the 1980’s, as well.

8 Likes

It’s not fishing line it’s silk. The end beads are clear, because they are glass. I didnt know Michaels sold Tibetan turqoise. Im not to sure if they sell anything from the 1960s. Nor would i consider anything from the 1960s modern. So you might be able to make something from Michaels that would be a fake compared to this, not something that is identical. When i look at this necklace, i dont think it looks like other native american jewelry, i can agree to that.

1 Like

Thank you I do know that the necklace is vintage but I wasn’t sure if it was any older than that so that’s why I asked the question about its age

1 Like

The stones look similar to what is available at Michaels. If you know for sure they are from Tibet, great. Turquoise can be tough to ID.

No, Michaels does not sell anything but modern.
Sorry on the stringing material. It as hard to tell from the photos.
I have some beads that look exactly the same as the clear ones on your necklace.
They are glass.

You asked for input, so I gave it, based on over 40 years of making jewelry.

I do not consider the jewelry I make as being fake or costume jewelry. Even though I am part Native American, I do not market it as being Native made. Just SW style jewelry.
I use high quality materials, some modern, some vintage.
I have used dental floss for stringing at times, which can appear to be silk.

Please tell us more about your necklace.
Where did you get it?
What provinance does it have?
Could it have been restrung at one point?

6 Likes

why do you claim it’s silk? what test/s were used?

2 Likes

I’m confused. So you believe it’s Tibetan turquoise and it’s from the '60s?

And no, I didn’t make my comments based just on looking at other people’s photos online. I’ve traveled extensively in the southwest, and looked at a lot of American turquoise and Native American jewelry. But if you look online you can find many Asian made necklaces that look like this. I have also read a lot on this site. You can learn a lot on here.

9 Likes

My grandma restrung this necklace n 1969. the part that was restrung was the Sterling clasps and glass beads on the ends because the original clasp was fraying the silk string. the original silk string that runs through the beads is about completely worn out in some spots.

3 Likes

I dont know how old the turqoise is or if its real or not thats why i asked.

1 Like

Someone told me in one of the very first post that it was Chinese or Tibetan turquoise that’s what I was going by

1 Like

Oh imagine that it was you surprise

Oh, okay. I said Chinese, that was me. But that’s just an educated guess, we can never know 100%, without provenance from the person who mined the turquoise or someone close to them.

1 Like

I know that this is why I came here for opinions

I was here to give what I’ve known to be true about the necklace because I was asked but it doesn’t mean that they are facts either

Well thank you everyone for the information and everyone’s opinion. I guess if I would like to know the age of the beads I would have to go to an expert I am not sure how they test them

Here’s my other stuff I guess I will have to take closer pictures and see what everybody thinks😆

1 Like

Okay here’s something I have some questions about. What makes something Native American Jewelry? Is it the obvious because it was jewelry made by a Native American? Also you are part native American you said and you make jewelry so I was just wondering why you don’t call your jewelry Native made? Also what is considered Southwest style jewelry and does it differ from Native American Jewelry in any way besides the ethnicity of the person who made it? I guess I always thought Native American Jewelry was considered such because it was made by Native Americans and I never considered it to be a style of jewelry. Now I’m curious if anyone has any information about what constitutes something as Native American Jewelry and what makes it authentic I would like to know. And in my opinion if the only way to get authentic Native American Jewelry is if it was made by a Native American then I would label my jewelry that way but to each their own