Is this turquoise ring actually turquoise?

This ring was listed as turquoise but I thought it looked more like possibly variscite. The color starts as a light blue in the corner of the matrix and changes to a pale image image image image image image image image green. The matrix is predominantly black with some slightly lighter color in the larger area. There is a white spot on the side which is slightly lighter that the pale green area. There are areas that look almost like dendrites. Can anyone help me identify what the stone actually is? Thanks for your help.

7 Likes

Ooh It’s pretty! Check out my mystery stone, what do u think this could be?

3 Likes

I’m not sure. What’s the history on the bracelet? That may give us more clues. I messaged a friend last night and she told me mine is variscite. Maybe this week someone will be able to identify yours. Pretty bracelet.

3 Likes

I purchased it online. I thought it was pretty and it was a good price the seller said it was turquoise but I’m not so sure.
I have other panel bracelets like this that are marked Taxco but this one just says NRS and then sterling.

2 Likes

I like your varascite ring, Islandmomma

3 Likes

The style makes me think Mexican but something about the bezels and stamp work looks sort of NA. I checked Hougart’s book of Mexican hallmarks and his third edition of NA hallmarks and didn’t find the initials in either book. I’m curious to see what the pros say.

2 Likes

Thank you for checking :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I should invest in some books!

Now that I zoom in I’m thinking it’s NAS not NRS

1 Like

I glanced at those too but not in depth. Didn’t see NAS either.

1 Like

found this photo of a hair accessory which was identified as Navajo and it has the same markings as my bracelet… interesting!

3 Likes

Did you find any more info or help on your identification of the stone? When I looked up variscite to investigate for you, I stumbled upon what looks like is your stone. Google: New Lander Spiderweb Turquoise Variscite Chalcosiderite :smiley: Really pretty ring :sunny:

2 Likes

Thanks! I will certainly check that out.:blush:

1 Like

Looks like turquoise, Tarafawn. It’s a pretty intense green - so perhaps a Nevada Mine?

1 Like

No idea what it is, Islandmomma. Doesn’t look like anything I’m familiar with.

1 Like

Thanks. I was told by someone not on this site that it is variscite. I an attaching a picture from Durango Silver

of a similar stone.

6 Likes