Is trading in Native american coral pieces legal?

There are of course a lot of Native pieces which have coral in them, but I wondered if it is legal to sell coral? Or is this coral a type that is legal? I hope someone can explain this to me?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I am not familiar with the laws regarding the harvesting of coral. However, every supply shop in town sells coral and we see coral dealers from Italy a couple of times a year. We have never had an issue. Those dealers would of come through customs and had to declare the coral.

3 Likes

@Jason Ah ok, then I feel more secure that it is probably legal, also in Europe, would be strange to ban it in just parts of the world :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks!

@Jason one more question, can you determine what era this necklace would have been made? It has a very strange closure, more of what you see on a tennisbracelet, maybe it was and later put on this necklace? Thanks again.

I live in the UK and we have no laws about the selling of coral but I do know where I work we can’t sell to China as they won’t allow it over the borders. Each country will have their own laws on it.

1 Like

Natural, red coral cannot be harvested, sold or traded. This has been the case for many years.
The selling or trading of vintage pieces that incorporate natural, red coral is legal.

All of the new red coral available now, legally, is dyed, sponge coral or other varieties.

If anyone is advertising natural, red coral for sale as recently harvested, then either they are misrepresenting what they have or it was illegally harvested.

This info was accurate as of about 15 years ago, when I was questioned about selling some natural, red coral branches I purchased in the 1980’s. At the time it was legal to harvest and sell these.

If anyone has reputable, updated info, I would love to see it.

2 Likes

Importation and trade in natural coral is governed by US Fish and Wildlife CITES law, requiring permit. Protection of coral reefs is indeed a big issue.

1 Like

@chicfarmer yeah and rightfully so, I don’t like selling it for that reason, but sometimes it comes in a lot, that is why I asked the question, I think for the safety I will leave it and keep this one for myself :wink: Thanks everyone!

I wouldn’t think it is very old.

1 Like