Jay Bond Native American Swedge Cuffs

These cuffs belong to my Mother and she would love to know more information on swedge or swage cuffs, but especially her Jay Bond ones. The seven on the right are created by Jay Bond and I’ll be darn if I can find any information on him. Obviously a very skilled craftsman and I would think he would be well known. The nine on the left are great examples of “swedge/swage” cuffs and we would both like to learn more about that design. By the way, the cuffs are displayed on a paint roller. I think it makes a great avenue to show off these beauties. This is the only picture I have, but if you need more, I will ask Mom to take and send me some. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with me!

10 Likes

All of them are so pretty! I love the third one. The paint roller is a great idea!

1 Like

Thank you Stacia. I agree they are all beautiful, but I don’t understand why Jay Bond remains somewhat of a mystery? The paint roller works very well. Mom comes up with some goodies for sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are Stunning!!.Thanks for sharing…

1 Like

“swege”?? i have never heard that word before, and google search doesn’t help me. Can you tell me what that means, in relation to these pieces?

1 Like

As best I know and trust me, it is very little. The name refers to the pointed edge on the top of the bracelet and the design is created during the casting of the piece. I’m sure someone else would have a clearer definition than I can come up with. Basically I am only repeating what my Mom told me. I will ask her later if she knows more about the design and report.

Turns out I spelled it wrong. It can either be swage or swedge. Many apologies
!

1 Like

I’m finding a lot of ‘carinated’ cuffed beauties in searching also. … Learn something new everyday!. :grinning:

4 Likes

Interesting! I learned the term “carinated” for these when i came to this website. I love this place!

1 Like

It might help someone identify the maker if you can post a pic of the stamps. Sometimes names can get lost in translation :grin:

Will get that picture. Thank you!

I have been using paint rollers for my store for awhile. You have a great collection

2 Likes

Here is a picture of the hallmark. The “J” has been identified as “Jay”, but that could be wrong. Thank you for your interest!

3 Likes

Very cool! They make a great display piece.

This image is from Paula Baxter’s book Southwest Indian Bracelets that may explain the term better than I can. Thank you for your interest!

5 Likes

thank you for that book info and definition!!

2 Likes

Hi Melinda,
Thanks for sharing these pretty bracelets. Just a comment that it’s not known if J Bond is Native or not, or even male, unless your mom bought directly and knows the story (I assume you’ve asked her). I did find a female contemporary jeweler named Jan Bond in Albuquerque by browsing LinkedIn, not that this proves this is the person. But the point is, there are plenty of instances of Anglos/others making jewelry “in the style of.”

Another point is that swedged is a term that probably doesn’t apply to these carinated cuffs on the left side of the roller. “Swedging” involves hand hammering of a solid ingot of silver into a negative form in order to make that pointed ridge. Laborious, and an early technique not often done now–there are easier ways to achieve this profile. Anyhoo, what a collection!

3 Likes

All very good points and I thank you so much for sharing them. They will be taken to heart and I will keep researching J Bond for more info. And thank you so much for the clarification on swedging. Still learning and I can add this to my knowledge. Please know how much I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my listing. Greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Hi Melinda,
I knew Jay in Albuquerque in the 90’s. I still have a few of his pieces. He was quite a character… would be happy to share any info of interest to you.
Best,
Brian

4 Likes

Was Jay Bond Native American?

1 Like