Jay Bond Native American Swedge Cuffs

key takeaway from the 2011 auction pics is the 14K stamp for the bezel material.

3 Likes

Aspire Auctions in Ohio might know his whereabouts and his major collectors.

The problem with photographing his markings is caused by the curvature and the need for small f-stops to get more depth of field. Aspire took those photos on a tripod with studio lighting. Definitely not hand-held.

1 Like

The stamps alone, the way they are applied, and the elements themselves in this case are as unique as a fingerprint. I’ve only seen a few pieces of this silversmith’s work on the forum, but I can tell you from decades of experience in the industry that I’ve never seen another craftsman who makes stamps quite like this, or works in precisely this unique style.

2 Likes

How can he apply the inner stamps to the silver if it’s curved as an oval cuff? Wouldn’t the stamps have to be applied flat before it’s bent into the oval cuff?

2 Likes

Usually, yes. This type of bracelet starts out flat, and is formed over a mandrel after all of the stamp work is applied. Hallmark stamps are usually applied to the back, or back plate of the piece first while it is ‘in the flat’. This is done first to avoid messing up decorative stamp work on the top, visible portions of the piece. Occasionally when the decorative work is done first, the silversmith will have to find an area on the back which will not affect stamp work on the top side. The portion, almost all the way to the end, right under the stone would be the logical place to do this, before the piece is formed around a mandrel, the bezels soldered on, and the stones set.

3 Likes

Yes, so in essence he’s “signing” the piece before it’s in final form. Like signing a check with other fields blank.

My cuff examined with a 16X loupe appears to have three separate stamps because they vary in depth into the silver. The 14K is so deep and covered in black tarnish it looks like a black rectangle deeply embedded.

The STERLING stamp goes shallower from to S to the L and it goes so deep at the NG where it goes so much deeper the letters merge in black tarnish. He’s probably using store-bought jewelery stamps for these first two.

It’s the cursive signature stamp that starts with a stylized lower case J with a continuous line from beginning to end that’s so unusual.

How could such a signature stamp be made? It’s got to be made of hard steel to hold up under long use.

3 Likes

Custom signature stamps are usually made to order from a drawing or image using an EDM process. What is Wire EDM? | Electrical Discharge Machining | XACT

2 Likes

I agree with your assessment of Nativo 100%. I have dealt with them three times and every one was a problem. The worst was when they sold a cuff that had a badly repaired break without disclosing it. It wouldn’t even sit straight on the table. Never again!

4 Likes

The cuffs are lovely and it has been so interesting to learn about J Bond.

2 Likes

That’s my understanding also. There is material that was mined from the Mastrada mine much earlier that looks like high end Dry Creek but is much more siliconized. I have a squash blossom necklace made of that material in addition to some nice regular Dry Creek. Their listing doesn’t look like either.

3 Likes

Come to think of it, maybe he did say he was part Chickasaw. It was 25-40 years ago. He’s certainly not a New Mexico American Indian, which are Navajo, Hopi, Apache, and the various Pueblo Indians.
-__-+_±-------±–±-------------
Rare Vtg Jay Bond Native American Chickasaw Sterling Silver Carinated Bracelet | eBay?

Rare Vtg Jay Bond Native American Chickasaw Sterling Silver Carinated Bracelet
Details & Condition: Jay Bond’s beautiful jewelry is seldom seen ion the second hand market - and you can see why! Simplistic yet well made and looks great on it’s own or stacked with others.
I have seen many people all over the internet asking who is Jay Bond ?
He is Chickasaw by descent - he started out making belts (among other things!) and graduated to jewelry - he was gifted a 150 pc set of Navajo stamping dies by Benny Jojola (Isletta) (then 94 years young!) and these heavily influenced his work.
Tragedy struck in 1999 when his cabin on a mountain in NM burnt to the ground - he lost all of his wax molds and approx 40 dies were stolen from the ashes.
Despite vowing to rebuild - I have not seen any pieces that look to be dated after the fire…
The particular Carinated bracelet is made for the lady with smaller wrists, it will fit between 6.50 - 6.75 inch wrist maximum.
This cannot be stretched open or squeezed closed - please do not try as we cannot accept any return if the bracelet has been altered.
There are normal marks from age use and storage.
Markings: JBond Sterling
Metal: Sterling silver
Stones: None
Will Fit Wrist Size: 6.5 -6.75 max
Measurements: Width: 0.30 of an inch - the opening is 1.07 of an inch
Weight: 32.30 gr

I have a J Bond bracelet. It has two 14kt gold bezels with turquoise
stones. Nice, heavy 69g. Beautiful Piece. Would love to have another.

DSC05064
DSC05058
DSC05059
DSC05063
DSC05062

3 Likes

Wonderful. I’ll take two!

2 Likes

@BayouBaby Wow that’s an interesting piece! It appears the central ring is flat instead of triangular. Also, looks like some fine lines in recesses near the bezels.

Is the lighting from a setting sun? It’s very difficult to photograph these without a tripod and studio lighting allowing smaller f-stops for more depth of field.

If I had the money I’d call the consignment shops in Santa Fe. Stephen’s and Things Finer are two.

1 Like

Hi dchanin, It is a interesting piece. It looks like 3 pieces, the edge pieces (4.5 mm wide) are heavy gauge triangular wire and the center is a solid (10mm) piece. Sorta swedging on the centerpiece and then flattened. No hammer marks, just stamping on the top and flatting to the bezels. I don’t know enough about his work or silversmithing, I just saw it on ebay about 12 years ago and bought it.

1 Like

Well good for you. I’ve never seen one like that with a flat central ring.

His pieces have sure spread far and wide.

The longer this thread runs the higher will be the ranking in search results; “Jay bond” silver bracelet.

Stephensconsignments.com is in Santa Fe, and worth trying if people want to buy.

2 Likes

I tried tracking Jay Bond down via the Chickasaw Nation since I found a photo with a Jay Bond in it. Nothing there.

1 Like

He might’ve had distant relations enrolled members Chickasaw but he definitely looked and acted Anglo here in NM. Maybe one grandparent.

He could’ve played up the part-Indian to sell his jewelry but he came here from Ohio and looked and acted Anglo as we call it here.

1 Like