Joe H. Quintana ring

Just wanted to show off this nice little Joe H. Quintana ring I picked up on ebay recently. I’m interested to hear opinions on age and value. I know Hougart’s says that the narrow H is his earlier hallmark, so I’m thinking maybe 80’s or so since this has the wide H?

10 Likes

Interested to hear the responses you get. Just wanted to say, that’s a beauty! Great find. :+1:

It is a beautiful thing, congratulations. I always think of what you had to pay as the value of a thing, how much did you find it for? I would imagine seeing something like $300 up if I came across it in a shop that knew what they had. Age will always remain a mystery.

Thanks! I got a great deal on it–$51, seller didn’t know what they had and didn’t have it labelled properly. You’re right, value is a subjective and difficult metric, but I was wondering what it might go for in a shop that knew what they had, as you say. Thanks for your help!

3 Likes

I have to share a discovery i made while cataloging my husband’s NA bits and bobs. this was my father-in-law’s daily wear watch, apparently he was good friends with Mr. Quintana for many years, and had this watch band custom made. Hubby remembers meeting him at Mesa Verde, in the early 70’s. We believe FIL purchased this from Mr. Q in the late 60s.

20200815_124252

5 Likes

That is simply outstanding! Love everything about it. :+1:

1 Like

That’s amazing! So special

1 Like

right? My FIL was wonderful and we miss him deeply, but this is a treasure either way.

3 Likes

@OrbitOrange What a great find! I love Quintana family work and while playing online found this post. And wonderful to see the watch cuff; what a great family story @Jemez2! I’ll love to see other JHQ pieces in others collections…such an impressive jewelry!

And, I just remembered this cool old lipstick case by JHQ. Just realized it is the narrow H hallmark. I wonder when he made this type of silver work…40s. I went through a phase years ago when I collected these great old Native American pieces (lipsticks, lighter cases, hair clasps, pill boxes), the workmanship is simply amazing.

4 Likes

been thinking about snagging a bic lighter cover…lol
remember thinking they were pretty spif &…would actually use one

1 Like

@newpawn the old lighter covers and lipstick cases are so cool…I’ll post pictures of several I have…none of the lighter covers are signed, but that’s OK! I’ll likely be selling a few down the road, I’ll give you a heads up when I do😄

1 Like