Joe Tso Spiderwebbed Turquoise and Red Coral Cuff

I just purchased this cuff and am having trouble finding out anything about the artist. He is not listed in my hallmark books but is on the online hallmark website. The cuff has gorgeous spiderwebbed turquoise and red coral.
I’m interested in finding out about the artist and very interested in getting your opinions on the origins of the turquoise. I would also really appreciate an approximate value. Thanks for your help. (P.S. the face is 3”)

5 Likes

That’s a nice one, but your finds always are! That could probably pass for Lander Blue to most, but I would guess Blackweb Kingman. Hope Jason chimes in on this one.

2 Likes

Thanks Marky. I hope @Jason will too. I think I just scored with another piece tonight. I thought the hallmark looked familiar but the seller said it was an X. I didn’t pay too much attention because the pendant was so beautiful. Just found the hallmark and it’s Cippy Crazyhorse I do believe. I’m going to add a picture for your opinion if you don’t mind. If I’m right I made out like a bandit!

3 Likes

Hi, I’m brain dead. I replied to you without hitting reply. Think it’s all there but not in the correct format. :woman_facepalming:

Sure looks like it is his hallmark. Your hallmark is a little closer together than the example, but the font style looks correct. If so you really did make out like a bandit.

1 Like

After I found that mark online I checked in my hallmark book. He used three very similar double C marks. One of the others matches better and is pretty much identical. I’m not too familiar with all of his work. Most of what I have seen has been modern silver cuffs that FB people I know have posted in some of the jewelry groups. I think this pendant is beautiful. It’s pretty big too: 2.5” by 3.25”.
Happy early birthday to me. :blush:

2 Likes

closer close-up

2 Likes

Thanks Steve, your improved hallmarks always seen to make things easier. This is the page from Hougart’s with Cippy’s hallmarks used over the years.

3 Likes

I don’t know the artist Joe Tso, seems like this site would have information Search: 16 results found for "Joe tso" – Nativo Arts. After that piece of gibbsite who knows on the stone. I think of the spider web pattern should look different, making a pattern… This web seems to swirl… What do you think? See an example like this before? Also, do we know the age of the cuff?

1 Like

I wasn’t familiar with him either but after some searching I found a Joe Tso in his mid 70’s who seems to be the artist. I took a screenshot from another listing and I don’t even remember what it was. I do not know age of the cuff.
@Jason would you please check in the comments and take a look at the pendant that I also purchased? I believe it is Cippy Crazyhorse but am not familiar with his early work. Thanks and I’ll keep looking at stones.

It looks different than his work, but we don’t see any of his work here and I am not familiar with it. He has a Facebook page and would probably be happy to tell you.

1 Like

I have sent a message to Cippy’s website. Hoping to get an answer.
I have also looked at lots of turquoise, especially Chinese. So far your Gibbsite seems to match the best. A hot needle had no effect. Tapping with my teeth and tapping with my fingernail give me a more dull sound than doing the same actions with the pendant and other pieces of turquoise. Guess I’ll give it a day or so and continue checking then see if I can return it.

1 Like

I hope it’s not gibbsite. I had been thinking Black Web Kingman like this.

1 Like

I contacted a Chinese friend who mines and sells turquoise. Her opinion was stabilized Chinese turquoise.

1 Like

Yes, I could believe that. I have seen some Hubei that has that look.

1 Like

Just an update. Talked to the seller and they have agreed that I can return the cuff for a full refund. It is packaged and ready for the post office. Thanks for everyone’s help. I really appreciate it.

1 Like

As long as it is not imitation turquoise, and if you did not pay a premium price, I would consider keeping it is quite beautiful

1 Like

Thank you I think it’s beautiful also. However, the price was way too high for man-made stuff

1 Like

[Sorry Steve, meant to respond to @islandmomma] I’m very doubtful this is Cippy’s work. Missing his characteristic design principles, etc…nor does the hallmark seem right. It will be interesting to hear further from him.

There’s some shenanigans in the marketplace, sadly, of people trying to pass off work (including stylistically unlike work) as by certain master makers. Not saying this is the case here; I expect it’s likely just someone else. Especially since the seller didn’t claim it to be someone famous. But some hallmarks are, you could say, wandering away from their original source.

4 Likes

I heard back from my inquiry and it is not his work. I pretty sure it’s not Coco Chanel, so I guess I’ll start looking at hallmarks again.

2 Likes