Kakiki

I have several pieces of Navajo jewelry marked ‘Kakiki’. Does anyone have any information on this silversmith who made many pieces in the 1970s. He worked LARGE! One belt buckle I have is 5" x 4". None of the pieces I have (or have seen) have any stamped hallmark, nor are they marked Sterling, although all are. He (She?) marked the pieces Kakiki in script with what appears to be an electric pencil. Thanks

Hello. I did a google search with the information you gave me and found several pieces with that name, https://www.google.com/search?q=shop+marks+albuquerque+nm&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQwPS_zLjTAhVV6mMKHQrdDXAQ_AUICCgD&biw=1920&bih=1044#tbm=isch&q=Kakiki+navajo+jewelry&imgrc=Sp2c8QCguABvzM:. None of my resources mention this name. The pieces are incredible and would be done by a very talented artist, making it even more strange that we can not find anything. Also, the name is unusual. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

1 Like

Thanks. I have been over Google, A to Z. I found the same thing. Yes, this silversmith is an enigma. I have five pieces of his work, a huge belt buckle, a watch cuff bracelet, a bolo slide, a squash blossom necklace, and a large ring. All of the pieces have genuine bear claws, beautiful turquoise and red coral. Three pieces come from a long closed source in Deming, NM. I would like to know something about this silversmith, but the chances are slim. Thanks again for your effort.