Ketoh?

In my possession for 40 yrs, was a gift and just wore as a cuff. Always assumed it was a bow guard minus the leather even though it doesn’t have the standard look of one. Any ideas? Also the turquoise? Bisbee, Morenci?? Interior is scratched with the name Tony Begay and some numbers. Only info on Tony Begay is that he was a popular Native painter. I thought perhaps it was made for him and numbered.

3 Likes

What makes you think it was a keto? Is it because of the sides? And I’m wondering if the numbers are pawn or shop numbers. I wouldn’t have guessed Bisbee, but I’m no expert.

2 Likes

I would guess Persian turquoise. Beautiful piece.

3 Likes

I wondered about Persian, Jason has mentioned before on here that it can be domed, I think.

2 Likes

Not a ketoh. If it was Native made, it is very idiosyncratic, possibly missing formerly appliqued pieces and missing expected attention to design. Probably the result of a fella deciding to make something he liked.

No ketoh has top and bottom carinated wire like a bracelet would, or that much curve–they are close to flat, or slightly convex.

8 Likes

Thanks for the input.

2 Likes

The sides look like they were made for a strap. Perhaps it was to keep the thing on. It’s very heavy. The name Tony Begay piqued my interest. Also looks like pieces are missing from the side maybe used to keep strap in place.

2 Likes

Very pretty cuff, the cutouts are a really nice touch by the maker. The front has an interesting design with the random drops and the beads almost look like a smile. Love the turquoise too. I would wear that in a heartbeat :grinning: Not sure about the turquoise though. I just purchased a squash that’s too long that I’m working on shortening with very similar turquoise. Gonna look up the two suggestions. Really beautiful cuff you have there :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you. It looks nice on and lays nicely if you have a bigger wrist, which I do.

2 Likes