Kingman or maybe SB?

I bought this back in '93 at the Hopi House at GC in their small pawn room (I believe Jeff Ogg of Ogg’s Hogan was still the buyer back then according to a video interview I saw). No hallmark (except a sterling stamp) on it, and it’s pretty heavy silver which is nice. I was drawn to the slightly modern look, and the way the stone is somewhat off center. I always assumed it was Kingman, because it seems like most everything is Kingman, but is it possible this is Sleeping Beauty turquoise? There is a tiny bit of pyrite in the matrix. Just curious.

I’m hoping to stop at Hopi House when we’re out there in April, so I started wondering again about this cuff.

14 Likes

Yes, I would call that Sleeeping Beauty. Dan Jackson would make some beautiful pieces in this style, but his work would most likely be hallmarked.

5 Likes

Thanks, Jason. I never really considered Sleeping Beauty until I started learning more about it on this site. It does have a look similar to that piece, but it is definitely not hallmarked.

1 Like

@Ziacat This looks like Sleeping Beauty turquoise. Super nice cuff.

3 Likes

@Ziacat So beautiful. Lucky find! When I was at Hopi House in 2022 it didn’t have an old pawn section; you’ll have to update with a report.

3 Likes

Thanks! I haven’t even been wearing it lately; I just pulled it out again.

So I can’t recall exactly. I may be remembering wrongly; I don’t know that it was a pawn room, but it seems like there was a smaller room off the main area - but this was 30 + years ago. But I’m pretty sure this cuff was pawn (and I bought a ring the next year), although they didn’t give me a ticket, and I don’t think it’s very old. I really can’t remember details about the actual cuff, because that was before I knew what to ask. I had just learned what pawn was a couple years previously at Four Winds traders in Flag, so I was happy that I found some more. This would have been when Jeff Ogg was the buyer, because I just watched a video again where he said he was there till about '98.

I haven’t been in Hopi House for a very long time, so I’m looking forward to going in at least for memory’s sake. I have an old photo of me sitting on my brother’s shoulders in '69 outside of Hopi House watching a Native American dance. Good memories!

4 Likes

Nice cuff @Ziacat! Beautiful stone! I have a polished Sleeping Beauty cab that looks very similar to yours (purchased in Globe AZ years ago at the same time as the infamous “lost vein” Sleeping Beauty cabs🥴).
LOVE Hopi House, but as @chicfarmer indicated, it isn’t what it used to be. And of course the Watchtower; can’t get enough of Fred Kabotie’s murals! I want (need) to get back there soon. Hope you make it in April🤞. We’re thinking of an October trip to the southwest hopefully revisit a lot of the Natl. Parks…glorious in the fall! It’s been too long!

3 Likes

I started this thread because I’m heading to AZ next month, and visiting the Hopi House where I bought this cuff. So now I think I’ll add a ring that I bought there either that same year or the next, because I wonder a little bit about the turquoise. I’m thinking there may not be enough matrix to be able to make a guess (of course I suspect Kingman). It kind of glows when the sunlight hits it. I liked that it was very sleek looking, and had a heavy band.

The blue definitely fades to slightly darker in places.

4 Likes

@Ziacat I like your ring but I don’t have a clue about the turquoise :thinking:. I can see the glow look to the turquoise, too. Let us know what you find out about it.

2 Likes

Bummer you will miss Ogg’s Hogan closing at the end of this month. :confused:

1 Like

I know, right?! So frustrating. But we just couldn’t make March work with our schedule and that of my friend in Phoenix. Oh well.

1 Like

@Ziacat , call the owner and see if he will arrange a private showing when you get to town. I’m sure he hasn’t disposed of everything. It will probably take him years. Add some begging and sniffling if you need to.

3 Likes