Large Old Overlay Cuff

I’m in love! And it fits my large 7-1/2” wrist! Marked simply “SILVER STERLING”, and is very heavy. Truly Hopi overlay? Or Navajo in Hopi style? Just hoping you have some insight. It’s quite a statement piece -
Thanks!!

4 Likes

Don’t want to be a party pooper but not even sure it is Native American. I have a feeling it’s Mexican made, as it just doesn’t look like Navajo or Hopi work.

7 Likes

Was thinking along the same lines as @SevernSound. And the mark isn’t in my Hopi Silversmithing book.

2 Likes

Its gorgeous !
I also think Mexican.

5 Likes

Agree, Mexican without a doubt. Panel style and especially the fonts of the hallmarking are clear tells. When you see enough Mexican silver you come to recognize the typefaces used.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone! Oaxacan maybe? Mexican silver has also become quite collectible lately!

2 Likes

I wonder if you’re thinking of Taxco, the longtime center of Mexican silversmithing including the midcentury workshops? Oaxaca has lacy filigree work, but silver isn’t that big a part of its crafts strength.

3 Likes

Yes, probably. I know I often see Taxco stamps, with .925, though, and this doesn’t have either. I love it regardless :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve always appreciated the quality of Mexican jewelry and I really appreciate those selling it cheap as they look upon it disdainfully because its “Mexican”. I’ll take as much as is offered. Such was the case with these Sigi Pineda earrings for a few bucks.

7 Likes

My sister has some pieces by Margot de Taxco, including one of her snake necklaces and matching bracelet. They are very desirable.
I adore Taxco silver.

5 Likes

Grab it cheap while you can… there seems to be a demand now (here in New England, anyway) and prices are getting higher!

2 Likes

Right on @Conni , it is being grabbed up. People are waking up and so are the sellers.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s the same as Native American jewelry. Mmrogers talked about this in one of his posts, about how it’s been so underpriced for so long.

I have nothing against Mexican jewelry, I just prefer to mostly focus on Native American. I do have a pair of earrings that my mom got in the 40’s that she wasn’t sure if they were Navajo or Mexican. They were from her mom, and mom couldn’t remember quite where they were bought. Maybe I’ll post those sometime and see what y’all think.

I just watched a video interviewing one of the Native artists that I just bought my latest cuff from, and he talked about how the turquoise stones they bought last year have doubled in price. Personally I don’t mind if I have to pay more, because I don’t want the artist to be not getting what their work is worth. That may mean I have to buy less, but I’m okay with that.

4 Likes

Love her pieces! Wish I had one of her pieces and a MATL.

2 Likes

Regardless of the origin, you found a very cool bracelet and I hope you enjoy it for a very long time.

2 Likes

Looks like Taxco to me as well, Chicfarmer.

2 Likes

I typed in Sigi Pineda and got this thread…so instead of starting a new topic, I shall post here. I was bored tonight and polished a necklace I bought two years ago from SGW, back when deals were a little easier to find. It is a Sigi Pineda design but marked By LPL or LFL? Does anyone know if this is someone that worked under Sigi? I’m hoping they’re are some Taxco experts out there. It is a nice tigers eye necklace in good shape.

1 Like

No hallmarks like that related to Sigi. There are a lot of Mexican-Modernism pieces out there. I found several LFL modernist pieces with tiger eye. No one has identified the maker.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m tagging @Christibo as I believe he is knowledgeable regarding Taxco :slight_smile:

1 Like

While on the subject of Mexican silver here… just sharing my recent auction score,

awesome Ruby Ramirez Taxco bracelet :sunglasses: super heavy silver. The earlier bracelet in this post got sold so quickly!

2 Likes