Lots of small stones- real or fake?

Hello,
Im new here and getting into obtaining minerals to pass down to my son.
I was wondering what do you all think about these? I haven’t seen them in person yet. It’s a 45 min drive so wondering if it’s worth the drive. Supposedly from the Bisbee and Morenci mines. Some pieces look real in the photos

2 Likes

If you don’t want it, let me know where it is.
Seriously, buy it.

3 Likes

Looks like nice selection but without disclosing the price and quantity, responses to your inquiry are limited.

5 Likes

I see big blobs of epoxy from stabilization.
So this is probably chalky material, not high quality.

6 Likes

Markyboy- I took your advice!

1 Like

I forfeited 1 Benjamin Franklin, 1 Andrew Jackson, and 1 Abe Lincoln. Over 2 lbs.

The backstory is that the seller’s father bought all of them in Kingman maybe 40 years ago so he could make a cow skull covered in Turquoise as a wall decoration. He was inspired by an Arizona Highways photo of a cow skull covered in turquoise. He never got around to making it. The seller found these in the garage after his father passed away.

Some have lots of globs of epoxy but some pieces are nice

2 Likes

some rocks split open and they look solid through

2 Likes

Even if a majority or all is stabilized you got a good deal. They will cut and polish nicely. Especially if you or your son are just starting to learn how to cab stones. That is a small investment for rough to use as practice pieces. I’ll give you an example. My wife teaches jewelry and beading classes as a hobby. When she is teaching wire wrapping, half the people show up with sterling silver or gold wire to learn. She tells them no, start with cheap copper wire and practice a lot with it. When you get proficient then use the expensive wire. You can’t believe how many people come to her class after ruining hundreds of dollars in wire.

2 Likes

Well, it’s a big bunch of turquoise!
You could make a lot of jewelry with it.

A single high quality piece of Bisbee could cost you $125 or more!

1 Like

Great deal. Looks like you have some nice stones.

2 Likes

Cowskull? My wife hates mine! It is relegated to a corner in a back room. Look at all those spiderweb cabs, over 500 of them!

9 Likes

I have NO idea why, but for some reason when I see these cow skulls with the turquoise all over them I think of the ridiculous movie Ghost rider.

5 Likes

But Ghostrider was a great movie :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I just like the cabs!

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions and input! Great to know!

My wife thinks I should make a turquoise skull! Tell your wife to sell your skull to my wife! haha

That skull is beautiful, and the stones on that skull are very very nice!

A la verga! @markyboy57
That cowskull!
How many rings could I make with all of that?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Figure over 500 and sell them for $40 each.
I paid $180 for it.
Or squash blossom necklaces with 20 stones apiece. But right now just no time.
My wife is the jewelry maker, i like to cut the stones.

3 Likes