Lurker needing recommendations - Tucson

I’ve been on this forum for awhile but haven’t posted in a long time - just did one new post about a ring I’m thinking about buying. However, I will be in Tucson (first time to AZ) next month and I was wondering if anyone could give me recommendations about jewelry stores in Tucson and/or Bisbee (I have to see the Lavender Pit). I can’t pay museum quality prices for anything but I feel there are probably some shops that might have some great finds, if one knows where to look for them. Is it worth it to check the pawn shops? Thanks.

2 Likes

Tucson Indian Jewelry seems to have some interesting items, and doesn’t seem overpriced. I haven’t visited the shop, and don’t know the owners but their online shop has some nice Jewelry and if I were shopping, I might just drop in and give them a look see.

I’d stay away from the pawn shops unless you’re really an expert in the Jewelry you’re looking for. What’s out for display in the pawn shops tends to be stuff they can’t wholesale out, or sell at retail online, but aren’t yet ready to scrap.

Authentic Native made jewelry in shops that carry the real thing are often wildly underpriced for today’s materials and labor values. Especially items made more than 10 or 15 years ago. That won’t last forever, and we’re long overdue for a resurgence. So if you find something that just steals your heart, and the price isn’t too high, right now is a good time to buy.

1 Like

The first place I’d check out in Tucson is Bahti Indian Arts. Mark Bahti is knowledgeable, respected, and makes a point to treat artists fairly. You won’t find a bargain there (or any of the established, reputable stores for that matter) but I actually think his prices are quite reasonable. I’ve never been to his Tucson location, but I’ve been to the Santa Fe store and shopped on the website.

3 Likes

& with “prey” being so hot right now…

Thank you! Definitely not an expert - glad to hear that this is a good time to buy, sounds like the timing for my trip is good.

1 Like

Will definitely check that out, thanks!

1 Like

I’ve been in the Tucson area twice, but never really shopped for Native American jewelry there. I have a great book on Trading Posts/ shops, but I don’t think it goes as far south as Tucson; I think it only covers the Four Corners area. I’ll check when I get home.

I’ve only been to Bisbee once, and only had a few hours there, but it was a wonderful little town. I don’t specifically remember what shops were there, but we did have time to go into a pretty big antique store in a historic looking building (although all the buildings there look historic). I got lucky and found a wonderful Navajo belt buckle, but I do know what to look for. But you might check it out!

I hope you have time to visit San Xavier del Bac just south of Tucson. It’s an amazing old Spanish mission church. I believe sometimes they have Native Americans selling their art nearby outside. They weren’t there when we visited, but there were natives selling fry bread (which was yummy).

Are you flying in and out of Tucson? It’s too bad you can’t spend any time farther north. If you had any extra time, I would say if you can get to Prescott you should shop at Ogg’s Hogan. I would go waaaaaay out of my way to go there. Of course I would also go way out of my way to get up to the Grand Canyon (my favorite place ever) if I was in Arizona!! But that would take a lot of extra time. Maybe you can take another trip!

2 Likes

DEFINITELY plan on San Xavier del Bac! And fry bread would be delightful, last time I had it was at Taos Pueblo decades ago. Would love to see local artisans selling outside. Yes, flying in and out of Tucson. We talked about it but reluctantly decided not to try for Grand Canyon this trip. Looking forward to Saguaro!

2 Likes

Full disclosure:Tucson native here.

Also highly recommend the Desert Museum if you have time. Terrific way to spend a morning or afternoon in Tucson! http://desertmuseum.org Trail Dust Town on Tanque Verde and Pinnacle Peak Cowboy Steak House are great, fun destinations as well.

2 Likes

I love Saguaro NP! If you can, try to visit both east and west units. When we first entered the east unit it seemed like there weren’t as many saguaros. But as we got farther in, they were HUGE. The west unit seems to have the massive numbers, but the east side has the monsters. For example, I stood up UNDER the lowest arm on this big guy.

I agree with mmrogers, the Desert Museum is worth it. Watched a raptor show while there.

I’ve also read the town of Tubac south of Tucson is know for it’s art, shopping, and history. We didn’t have time for that.

@mmrogers, since you’re a native I’ll ask your advice whenever we get back there!

3 Likes

Medicine Man Gallery
Morning Star Traders
Mac’s Indian Jewelry
+1 on Bahti Indian Arts

4 Likes

Not a jewelry recommendation, but if you love Sonoran Mexican food as I do, or just want to sample some authentic local food, Mi Nidito in South Tucson is an absolute local treasure. Fair warning though… on Sunday mornings there’s a two hour wait. Sort of on the way to San Xavier. https://www.miniditorestaurant.com

La Parilla Suiza on Speedway is worth a visit too. http://laparrillasuiza.com

2 Likes

I went to American Antique Mall last time I was there. They had a lot of neat stuff.

1 Like

just recently made the connection…clovis point…& clovis,nm

duh
lol

1 Like