Massive Navajo Belt Buckle set with 1,060 carat Turquoise. Signed "T.E. Avery" w/Additional Marks

The second I saw this belt buckle, I knew I had to have it. I’ve never seen anything quite like it before in regards to the sheer size of the turquoise. I’ve nicknamed it “The Championship Belt” due to its size and heft!

The reverse is hand-signed and hand-engraved with the carat weight of the center stone. I believe it reads: “T.E. Avery - (Picto Hallmark Signature) - S.S. - Center Stone 1060c”.

Through my research, I’ve come up short on T.E. Avery. The only information I find on that name is an author who, to the best of my knowledge, doesn’t have a track record of producing jewelry or silver accessories of any kind. I believe a book was published in 1977 by T.R. Lyons and T.E. Avery on the detection and mapping of archaeological sites. Perhaps he was involved with the mining of the turquoise, and the picto hallmark could be the signature of the silversmith?

3 Likes

That is a champion buckle. It seems like it was made to showcase that stone, not to wear. I do know some Navajo people with the last name Avery. However, middle initials are not as common. You do three initials when a spouse helps, but that is done without the period. It is interesting you found this name associated with archeology. All the archaeologist I know when be blown away by this stone, and resourceful enough to give jewelry making a go. Very cool find. Good luck on finding the person who made this piece.

2 Likes