May Family has a 40LB Turquiouse

Im trying to establish a value for my 90 year old mother…
Any suggestions would be appreciated … thx Dale

5 Likes

I suggest you try and get it appraised. Pay the cash know what you have. Maybe try a geology department at a university if you want to go on the cheap.

3 Likes

What’s the story behind this, do you happen to know? Does it fit with what your mother normally had or collected, or does it appear to be a random find?

Also, am I seeing glass-like areas that are part of the rock (image 2224)?

1 Like

Wow thats crazy huge! Do you know where it came from? It must have sentimental value, as it seems like she would have done something with it a long time ago?
Im curious, Lol

1 Like

I’m surprised Jason hasn’t chimed in on this. If my memory serves me right Perry has a large piece of number 8 on display in the store. This reminds me of that piece…only much bigger. Number 8 was known to throw large pieces of turquoise, but as far as I know this is the biggest I’ve heard of.

2 Likes

I was waiting until we got a response to chicfarmer question, that will help.

8 Likes

Awwww, those kids are adorable. I have never seen big pieces of Turquoise before. That 40lb piece was my first. My goodness that blue piece is soooo beautiful. Can we get a close up ? Im assuming your family owns a Turquoise mine? I cant imagine the value of Turquoise in huge rocks. Thank you so much for sharing these pics.
Kimberly

1 Like

What adorable girls! I think you must have given the oldest one a rather heavy chunk. Even the littlest one has this down pat! Love seeing pictures that make me smile in the morning! :grinning:

2 Likes

Specimens that we have purchased over the years. Two of them are from China and the other two from here. Turquoise has gotten really expensive and we don’t see many opportunities to buy these anymore.

2 Likes

I know its none of my biz but for real what does a big piece of Turquoise cost? Like i have no clue, just curious…as usual, Lol

1 Like

It depends on quality, mine, just lots of things determine a cost. It seams like the cheapest rough we see come through is around $75 - $100 a pound. The bigger the specimen the more it costs.

2 Likes

I assumed it would be a great deal more money then that for giant piece. What i wouldnt give for a piece like that blue one. Im going to stabilize that seafoam Chinese Turquoise. I think they polished the outside but i dont think its stabilized. I used the dremel to sand off the outside of most of the Chinese Turquoise and the color underneath is so much prettier.
Did you see my bracelet and some of my other stone beads? I cant find them on here, maybe they didnt upload. I think one piece might be a #8 piece. Lol, one can only hope.

1 Like

Not sure which pic you mean … but someone polished a couple spots