Micro Inlay

I just gave you a big, big heart (like).Wish I could give you ten more for your post. You completely get it, as do so many others here :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you both for your thoughts @mmrogers and @chicfarmer. I am old school and still totally prefer to do my shopping for Native art in person. I donā€™t have the knowledge that the two of you have, but when I fell in love with native American jewelry (and then rugs and pottery) I knew I had to learn what I could in order to spend my money wisely. I had learned from my parents to buy quality over quantity. My love affair with Native jewelry in particular began in earnest in the late 80ā€™s/ early 90ā€™s after traveling to Santa Fe with a friend. That was also when I started trying to learn about the buckle I had from my father. Probably because that was before the proliferation of online shopping, I was forced to research regarding the best way to find legitimate art. The book that guided me most was the Trading Post Guidebook by Eddington and Makov. I bought it somewhere in the Southwest, probably at a museum bookstore. I literally carried it with me (still do), and even planned some trips in order to get to some of the trading posts and shops it recommended. Teec Nos Pos Trading Post, Blairā€™s Dinnebito Trading Post, Hanging Tree Gallery (ABQ), and Four Winds Traders (Flagstaff), were places I visited numerous times. I pretty much didnā€™t shop anyplace if it wasnā€™t written up in that book. Unfortunately many of those places have closed. I wasnā€™t afraid to ask questions of the owners, and I was blessed by their willingness to spend a lot of time talking with me. I especially remember the gentleman who owned Four Winds (I believe his name was Steve Causer). And then I just fortunately stumbled on Oggā€™s Hogan. We are also blessed here in IN to have a wonderful western art museum which holds an annual Native Art Market in June. Many, many times out west, when I say I am from IN, they say, " Oh thatā€™s where the Eiteljorg is!"

I agree, there is nothing compared to looking at and handling true Native art. I am certainly not an expert, and my budget is a bit more modest than some, but I feel like I have, through experience, acquired a good eye. I donā€™t have the specific knowledge about all the artists producing today, but I know what to look for, and what to ask.

I understand many people cannot travel out west as much as I have been able to (my best friend and a couple nephews live in the southwest), but I highly encourage anyone on this site to try to, at least sometime, visit in person good native art museums and trading posts /shops. Not only for yourself, but also for the art and the artists who make it.

I know this is long, but things that were brought up in this thread got me thinking. I learned first hand this past summer from my nephew, who is a fed working in ABQ, about these problems. One of his first cases was involving fake Native American jewelry being sold in the area. I donā€™t want to perpetuate this problem!

5 Likes

I agree! Iā€™ve been working on her to write a book, but sheā€™s too humble to admit her knowledge.

6 Likes

If this is about the bear micro work. I am 99.9 percent sure it is not native and was done in the Phillipines. There are a couple tell tale signs. One is the stamping on the bale. The other is in the lighter opal. There is a hue to it and a different shimmer than most of the lab opal here in the US. Also Ray Jack is deceased.

3 Likes

I agree that the bear micro inlay is a fake. I do not know how these great posts got on this thread, but I simply wanted to know if anyone can testify to the undisputable fact of whether Matthew Jack is a real person (son of RayJack) or a fictional persona for imported jewelry. I have seen supposed photo but tHAT IS NO proof whatsoever. I mostly buy direct and have no interest in any piece by Matthew Jack even if he is legit. Just wish to settle the issue.

3 Likes

@TAH you should do a picture book of all your beautiful belts & buckles! Your photos are beautiful.

5 Likes

Thanks Tara. Iā€™m an amateur photographer with a big heart. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I agree with you Chicfarmer, but I do realize I have posted quite a few pieces to get input (and will post more), because I enjoy discussing the items on this forum. Often when I shop (especially years ago) I donā€™t always remember to ask much about where the turquoise came from. Sometimes the seller didnā€™t know. My concern mostly is the piece legit and that I love it and will wear it (and can afford it). Other than rings, I donā€™t usually buy a piece just because of the stone. So now that Iā€™ve joined this forum I have become even more curious bout what I have. And living in IN makes it harder to find like minded people regarding native art, so I have fun learning and conversing here. But I definitely take the time to do the other things you encouraged (especially the hands on shopping!).

2 Likes

Certainly. We are all ideally learning as we go, even the seasoned folk. I hope you donā€™t think Iā€™m addressing my fellows here so much as when itā€™s total laziness and no care but demands for micro examinations of any darn thing. Itā€™s very obvious when posters are here to talk about what they collect and wear.

4 Likes

Thank you, thatā€™s what I figured. I value your opinion! I love this site and have learned so much. And like I said before, itā€™s such a nice escape from all the chaos when I canā€™t turn away from the news.

3 Likes

Thank you - I am aware that Ray Jack is deceased, and I did not attribute this bear pendant to him, it was found on a site with Matthew Jackā€™s name stamped on it, and it has been noted on various sites (but not really verified it seems) that Matthew Jack is his son. That is all.

1 Like

I have enjoyed my time on this site and have learned a lot! And what a treasure trove to have the collective knowledge here from this group of people who truly care about native American crafts and have experience buying and making it. I can only imagine how much I could learn if all of us could sit together and compare pieces in real time; the internet is just no substitute for seeing, touching, and learning first hand. However, it is what we have. :smile:

It is a very real problem about the fakes that are out there and as much as I would like to think I have never contributed any of my money towards shysters ( definitely not on purpose, anyway), it has probably happened due to my inexperience. :confounded:. I can only take what I learn here and apply it towards future purchases.

Iā€™m another one who doesnā€™t have (in person) access to very many reputable shops and a good supply of Native American pieces, nor can I always afford to buy directly from the artist or from an established shop. I enjoy the treasure hunt aspect of finding things in secondhand shops and online but realize thereā€™s a trade-off there in the form of risk factors and I hope that doesnā€™t make me part of the problem. I like old stuff and buy more things because they call to me than I follow specific artists or styles. I just like NA jewelry. I hope I can be a more conscientious buyer from now on.

8 Likes

I think a few of us have made a purchase online and have been a little disappointed when seeing the piece in person, as it wasnā€™t quite what we expected. I bought a ring that looked a bit more substantial online than it did when I received it. I was a bit meh about it, and added it to a cowgirl themed auction donation I made up, and the gal who won the basket loved it for the reason I didnā€™t like it, so go figure.

Iā€™ve also made some fabulous finds, so I figure Iā€™m still ahead percentage-wise :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I certainly can not afford to buy from a store or an artist. I canā€™t even afford to buy online. My whole collection comes from estate sales, and thrift stores. None of my jewelry is spectacular but I love it all. I really enjoy this forum and you guys for helping me learn about the jewelry I have found. I love seeing all yā€™allā€™s amazing pieces. I hope one day to buy a fabulous piece from a reputable dealer. But until then thanks for sharing your knowledge and beautiful jewelry.

6 Likes

I think youā€™ve posted some lovely pieces. And really, isnā€™t loving what you have the most important part? And at least buying at estate sales and thrift stores you can see in person what they look like. You must have better estate sales and thrift stores than we do here in Northern IN!

And I agree with youā€¦ I have learned so much on here and also enjoy it!

4 Likes

Yes, I feel extremely lucky in my finds. Our estate sales have great prices. For example this is the jewelry I wore today. I paid a grand total of $32 for all of it. It is all sterling silver. The earrings and Harvey ring were $6 each. The Sand cast ring was $12 i think (but may have been $8). The Zuni necklace signed m stead was $8. So, yeah I feel pretty lucky. Lately prices have gone up, but I still get lucky now and then. I love hand made stuff and old stuff as well.

6 Likes

Nice job finding those; I especially like the sandcast ring. If there was a native jewelry pickers show you could host!

4 Likes

I remember now one of your pieces of jewelry. I believe you had a post quite awhile back with a few things you bought, and one of them looked a lot like one I own that I bought in Silverton CO several decades ago. So of course you have good tastešŸ˜!

I wore it today, and that reminded me (I just had to photograph it on my bearā€™s head lol -I didnā€™t shoot it, inherited him).

2 Likes

Love it! The ring, bracelet and all of it.

2 Likes

Sorry I havenā€™t been here in awhile. I had two pieces that were attributed to Ray Jack that I just sold, but I do still have pics of them I think. Let me grab and post them here. Sorry so late, hope yā€™all will pick up on these and give your input on whether you think they were legit. I sure hope so! I believed them to be.

Ray Jack Heart

3 Likes