Morenci blossom necklace

“The Morenci porphyry copper deposit contains three types of copper ore minerals - oxide, secondary sulfide, and primary sulfide. The main oxide copper minerals are chrysocolla and malachite. The main secondary copper sulfide minerals are chalcocite and pyrite, and the main primary copper sulfide is chalcopyrite. There are many other primary and secondary minerals, including molybdenite, galena and sphalerite and two types of turquoise - hard, flawless blue and spider webbed. (FCX 2009 10-K and other sources)”

source: https://mrdata.usgs.gov/mrds/show-mrds.php?dep_id=10282444

Morenci rough graded examples
https://traderoots.com/Turquoise/Turquoise_Mines/Morenci_Turquoise/

4 Likes

A lot of information and interesting. A lot of fun learning about these things. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Raysha. Great squash! Everything about it is outstanding. The letters scratched into the back look like a trader’s or dealer’s cypher, and probably represent a cost code, and a sell for code.

5 Likes

So glad that you got the necklace. It looks fabulous on you and it’s beautiful! I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it. :blush:

3 Likes

@mmrogers Thanks for the info about the scratched letters on the SB necklace. I was puzzled as to why anyone would do that. It now makes perfect sense to me.

3 Likes

Best guess, the Xs are zeros. Most trading firms had or have their own cyphers, known to employees. This looks like an old Thunderbird Trading code. I believe Thunderbird Trading’s old cypher code was L1 I2 N3 D4 A5 S6 U7 E8 C9 X0 (Linda Sue CX). If this was one of theirs, the trading company’s cost would have been $230, and the sell for retail price $930, with wholesale keystone pricing at $465. Linda Sue was Linda Sue Cosper, who owned Thunderbird along with her husband Don Cosper.

10 Likes

It’s absolutely gorgeous!! You will enjoy it so much.

Maybe someday I’ll get one. Just don’t think I’d wear it, and have to watch those dollars :laughing:

3 Likes

And I forgot to say, isn’t it wonderful to have the info about it, and to have met the owner? Having the history about a piece of jewelry is extra special. Also, interesting that you can meet at the police department for the trade.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. @Islandmomma @Ziacat, I cannot afford it either. I got it to sell so will wear it while I can. I have not a need for a necklace of any kind as I don’t generally wear jewelry except for a single ring. This blossom is irresistible though. I will wear it a lot and let it see the light of day :blush:
I don’t sell online mainly locally because I deal with cash and there are lots of traders in my area. I’m excited we all got to see and share this one.

2 Likes

It’s all really cool!

2 Likes

Oh I wish you could keep it! Or I wish I could buy this one myself :laughing: However I’ve just made my sixth visit to the vet with my cat so that’s where my jewelry money is going now :weary:

Did I see Mesa on the police door? I love it out there. My best friend lives on the north side of Phoenix.

Thank you for sharing all this with us; it’s a great story.

4 Likes

Yes we met in Mesa. I’m pretty sure it’s the fancier towns and cities that offer this service freeley. Probably though, most of our small towns wouldn’t mind if we asked.
I’m not sad that I can’t keep necklace. It’s a lot of fun getting to see and touch so much.

2 Likes

Very beautiful. So nice that you know the history and age. So often that is not part of the jewelry.

2 Likes

It’s just stunning and I’m delighted you were able to get it. The backstory is so fascinating! Even if you don’t keep it in the long term, I hope you get some pleasure by wearing it for a while first.

3 Likes

Thank you for the information.

2 Likes

Was able to capture the Turquoise. Really beautiful in the sunlight. I can imagine what they would look like repolished.

2 Likes

Do NOT polish the turquoise! Or the silver! You can actually ruin the turquoise stones if you try anything on it. And most buyers want to see patina on the silverwork. Hands off!

8 Likes

You beat me to it. It just popped up and I came to say exactly what you just said. On a different note, that squash is absolutely gorgeous and the turquoise is very nice.

7 Likes

Thanks guys. Glad I didn’t get my stone polish and suede pieces out.

2 Likes

This Patina here wants to see patina on that silverwork!

4 Likes