Morenci Turquoise Necklace

I believe the turquoise in this necklace is Morenci. I’m looking for confirmation because it’s different than the other Morenci pieces that I currently have. It’s a large piece 156 grams and the pendant is 3 inches long. It’s signed by the artist Lorenzo Secatero. Guessing this is a fairly new piece? Estimate on value would be great. Hoping,I got a decent deal on my purchase. Thanks

9 Likes

That is a really nice necklace!

2 Likes

I tried to find an example online, don’t know anything about Duvall Kingman, but I do believe that your stone shows more Kingman characteristics than Morenci.

3 Likes

Jason, could you give any tips on differentiating Morenci from Kingman which has a lot of pyrite? I was actually waiting for you to comment on this necklace because I thought it might be Kingman but I really wasn’t sure. What are the characteristics of Kingman you see here?

5 Likes

Thanks! @Chaparral :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Jason thanks for your reply. I was not so sure myself. It doesn’t look like other pieces that I was told were Morenci. What kind of value on the necklace with it being Kingman?

Also, I’m including a bracelet that is close in color with pyrite as well. Would this be Kingman too?

4 Likes

Mineral Park Mine (where Kingman turquoise comes from or is adjacent to) was called the “Duval” mine during the 1980’s or so. I don’t think assigning the name Duval to turquoise is anything special. Perhaps it indicates a time period when the turquoise was mined.

2 Likes

I am not familiar with the artist. So, I am just doing an estimated cost of what it would take to make this necklace, would think low retail would be around $850. It definitely could go up from there on a few assumptions of mine changing. What did you pay?

1 Like

Okay: here is what I have learned. Pyrite is actually present in a number of mines. Morenci tends to be the default. However, this has no other morenci characteristics.

Now, before I go there, I want to remind people that turquoise from other countries like China and/or Mexico is just as beautiful and under-rated.

I believe this is Mexican turquoise. Beautiful inclusions of pyrite and awesome matrix! The style of the jewelry appears more Mexican influence than Native American.

1 Like

Michael, thanks for weighing in. There is a hallmark but the only place I could find any info on it is another seller attributing to an artist. The seller I bought from also stated this artist as well. I’m adding the hallmark to the post. Also, still looking for a turquoise id on the bracelet too.
Link to other ring for sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381789826119

1 Like

Can you clarify if is this the hallmark on the necklace or the hallmark on the bracelet?

My comments are specific to the necklace.

1 Like

The posted hallmark is on the necklace.

1 Like

I think if it were Mexican it would be marked 925 rather than Sterling which was used mostly by Native Americans.

1 Like

Good catch on the “sterling” “925” distinction and I agree. What is throwing me off is the stylized drops. When compared to the Ebay piece, they are radically different. Typically, artists tend to stay (stylistically) the same or “Same but different”.

1 Like