My Favorite Ring

The owner (the gentleman in the above photos) was amazing. He spent so much time with us while I was choosing a rug. I couldn’t make up my mind between two which were about the same price; one was smaller and better made, and the other one was bigger and less well made, but I really liked it’s design the best. Mr. McCulloch said the smaller one was a Wide Ruins rug, and the larger one wasn’t any particular design, just something that the maker chose to do. My brain was saying to take the better made rug, and my heart was saying to take the larger one. He gave me great advice - buy what you love. So the bigger one is hanging on my wall.

And thank you for your info also! In the end whichever decade it is is okay with me, and it’s okay if I don’t know. I just love the soft worn look of the silver and the colors of the stones. I love the patina, although I suspect that in the middle around the three stones it’s not just patina, but also some dirt! But I will call it history, not dirt. It looked as though I had been worn and loved by someone.

3 Likes

Great question. I don’t have a file on supplies that CG allotted to his makers, but it’s fairly easy to find finished work he sold, of course owing to the now-legendary CG Wallace catalogue from his landmark collection auction in 1975. And occasional other items that surface from his treasure chest. I’m just aware of bezel changes over time as a student of the jewelry, nowhere near your level on detecting handmade vs. supplied. Thanks as always for adding your insights!

(There’s one scholar in the field who would know precisely the materials he made available, but otherwise it’s obscure rather than carefully documented.)

Unimportant PS: my username is “chic” plus “farmer,” as in stylish, not as in poultry. LOL

3 Likes

@Ziacat Zia, my wife inherited my mother’s Navajo cluster ring that reminds me of your beautiful ring. My mother bought her ring in the 1970s. Unfortunately, I have no other information on it.

@mmrogers Michael, would you say my mother’s ring is roughly the same time frame and same bezels as Zia’s ring?

4 Likes

How pretty! And the shape is unusual. And again, so special being that it was your mom’s. See the little indent on that top silver bead? Several in mine have that. Besides the shape, the big difference I see is major color change of the stones in mine. And I believe all of that happened before I got it, because that was partly why I liked it so well.

3 Likes

Gorgeous! Kaaaboom!!! I love it! I don’t know the time frame, but the shot is hand made, as is the rest of the ring, and the turquoise looks like it may be high grade Chinese, so I would guess 80’s or later.

1 Like

They look smoothed down because they were made from 1/2 round bead wire (so only 1/2 round on the top) and likely buffed with bobbing compound, or white diamond compound on a bristle wheel. These wheels make short work of smoothing down precious metal surfaces before the final buffing process. They don’t all look the same because they were clipped off of a 1/2 round bead wire strip, which leaves edges that are slightly different. Your ring is very well made, and quite old -frequently worn judging from wear characteristics and the oil saturation in the stones. It was well loved in its time, and is now, but once again, given the physical characteristics, it is unlikely to have been made in the 50’s.

1 Like

Did I botch your handle?!! I’m so sorry. I honestly thought it was "chickfarmer. I did capitalize it, but if that is incorrect, once again I apparently miscommunicated. Please accept my sincerest apologies. I truly love your posts and your insights, and the last thing I want to do is to offend :frowning:

3 Likes

I wasn’t arguing with you about it not being made as early as I was told; I was truly curious about the process, because I know practically nothing about it. I understand it better now. Thank you!

2 Likes

Not a problem at all. Once the bezels (created from a permanent template) and twist wire are formed and laid into place, arranging the shot, or 1/2 bead wire sections is a piece of cake. Everything is arranged and soldered down in one single operation, and afterwards the silversmith cuts out the outline of the piece with a fine jewelers saw, usually from a 26 to 30 gauge backplate (Zuni Jewelry). Once the cluster is ready, and sawn out, the shank is sized to order and soldered on. After that the stones (cut to template) are laid in over sawdust, and set and the piece is buffed and readied for sale or delivery.

1 Like

No issue at all, M. When we see a handle typed we can’t always tell the idea behind it. Mine is a little personal joke about living rural but being kinda…attentive to nice things. :smile:

4 Likes

Thank you! Now when I wear it, I can appreciate better how it was made. I think (not sure on that) I was told it was Navajo, does that make sense?

2 Likes

Could well be Navajo. The shank is heavier than one would typically see in Zuni work. Either way it’s a really beautiful ring, and extremely well made.

A quick note on TAH’s cluster ring. Looking at it again, the stones look like they were cut in Idar Oberstein, so I’m thinking they’re probably Persian rather than Chinese. You could buy Persian of that quality in the 70’s. It was expensive, but there was plenty circulating until political unrest in Iran dried up the supply. The 70’s would absolutely make sense from that perspective.

Note on the bezels: Bezels on both rings are likely made from 1/8" 30 gauge fine silver strip. A finer checking file was used to serrate the bezels on Ziacat’s ring, and a somewhat coarser file used on the bezels of TAH’s mother’s ring , so while similar they are not exactly the same.

2 Likes

This is one of my top 3 faves. My first turquoise ring purchase :smiley:

11 Likes

Nearly all of my mother’s turquoise jewelry was purchased in the late 1960s -1970s, so the 1970s time frame lines up with what we know. Thanks for your comments, Michael!

This Navajo cluster ring just sold on Medicine Man’s website. Similar construction. Dated 1960s.

5 Likes

Dating handmade jewelry - especially in an environment where “older = higher perceived value” is difficult. In the absence of an actual “born on” date, or year physically stamped, etched or engraved on a piece, and an airtight paper trail the best any of us can do is make the best guess we can based upon experience and industry knowledge using materials, techniques, and physical characteristics as reference points.

One thing that particularly stands out to me in this coral cluster ring is the use of standard mm European cut Mediterranean coral in the cluster work. We really didn’t start to see medium grade standardized professionally cut coral cabs like this appear in supply houses until the 70’s. Coral absolutely exploded on the market in the early 70’s. For a while - a long time retrospectively - it was absolutely the hottest thing going. Consumers couldn’t get enough of it. Everyone was making coral jewelry, and sources from Italy and the Mediterranean Middle East came out of the woodwork and descended on Gallup, Albuquerque, Phoenix, and Denver like a plague of locusts. People bought everything they had, and couldn’t wait to get more.

For someone who wasn’t physically there, the best way to imagine what that time was like would be to mentally time travel back to the middle of the gold rush of 1849. It didn’t matter if you sold picks or shovels or, prospectors supplies, mining claims or physical gold. Money was flowing like water, and no matter what end of the business you were in, prosperity was there for the taking.

It was not the 30’s, 40’s or 50’s or even 60’s, but during the 70’s and into the 80’s that probably 85-90% or better of what’s floating around out there in the secondary, and collectors market was created. That isn’t speculation. I and many others who were present during that time observed and participated in real time, in every possible dimension.

What I personally look at when I’m evaluating a piece of jewelry is not the putative time frame, but the quality and nature of the materials, the soundness, and quality of the work, the overall integrity and originality of the whole of the creation. If something is truly old and orignial, one sees and feels it in the nature of the work. That particular quality is almost impossible to counterfeit, and almost as impossible to define.

8 Likes

Beautiful, I love the silver work.

2 Likes

It’s fascinating hearing what it was like - I had no idea. I didn’t really learn a love of native jewelry until the early 90’s. My parents had a few beautiful items that they picked up in the late 60’s. It was when I inherited one of these pieces (and later the rest) that I started looking into it, and then fell in love with it all. Once again thank you for sharing so I can continue to learn.

It’s funny you say that about the coral. I had a coral cluster ring that looked very similar to the one in the photo, and I lost it, which made me just sick. It was made by Mary Marie Lincoln, and I was fortunate to find another one about 5 years later in onyx. I actually like it better in the onyx.

2 Likes

Thanks so much. I don’t usually wear huge rings but the person I purchased it from had a ton of turquoise jewelry on consignment with a huge estate store and sold it all cheap when covid hit. I was just learning about turquoise and thought I had time to decide on what I wanted to purchase. I was so disappointed. Then a new jewelry store opened in the area and it turned out to be the same guy. He was super cool and so nice. I told him my story and he showed me a handful of pieces had left. He sold me the ring for $100 and now he holds stuff I may like for me to look at when I stop by :grinning:

2 Likes

you’ve probably heard…

“if you remember the '70s,you weren’t really there”
:upside_down_face:

3 Likes

My second fave ring. I couldn’t polish it. I like the darker tone on this one :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes