My First Concho Belt

I got a concho belt today and would like to get some help determining whether what the previous owner told me was accurate (her late dad bought it and according to her, he probably had it commissioned.) He worked in Arkansas and Oklahoma pretty extensively in the 70’s, maybe earlier. I see no marks but it appears to be silver. The stamp work looks like it was nicely done. Does the style of the belt buckle help to determine age? Several pieces of the turquoise have cracks but appear secure. One piece has a small chunk missing. Should I do something to ensure that it doesn’t get worse?
The previous owner called her brother after I left and called to tell me that he told her there were two brothers and he was pretty sure that the one who made the belt was named Phil Moore.
My questions are: 1) age of belt 2) quality of workmanship 3) value 4) will it affect the value if I change the belt so that I can wear it? 5) best glue to hold broken turquoise in place. I forgot to mention the weight which is 551 grams. Six butterflies, five conchos and the buckle. The buckle is 3 5/8” x 3 1/4”, the butterflies are 2 1/4” x 1” and the conchos are 3 1/4” x 2 7/8”.
Thanks as always!

5A78B2D7-6DBD-4BF8-A45F-CBA2A13BA14F 8BFC1AE7-7ED3-43BC-8ADF-9BA50A7498CA 4DE9D808-75DA-4856-85A0-F2B7EA54C009 900C0E58-9896-46F3-A52A-F67C0CEE3B95 64B1394E-3929-454A-A25B-4F901FA5CB0C 8283DC5C-A8B1-4340-8116-3E646844F15C FB93F794-28B9-4238-8727-394AC199BBCB 7F6543DF-1427-4CCE-86DF-BBDD0DD3B319 EE75BA47-AF1D-4EC4-9467-556669DAA013 705F6A3C-FD80-42C8-A9B6-E497FD93135E F2791645-5809-42B4-9683-D55D56A2F296

11 Likes

That is a beautiful piece all the way down to the leather.

2 Likes

Thanks. What do you think about gluing the one turquoise that is missing a small piece? What glue do you use?
I can’t believe that someone local came into the market where I work and said she had two concho belts for sale. Obviously it’s a small island and word gets out. We have regular customers who tell me they come in to see what I have on and to show off what they have found. I guess like attracts like.
She told me she thought 70’s. Does that seen about right to you?

1 Like

I don’t know if others have a better idea but I would use E6000 glue. Just a small amount that would not squeeze out but only placed on the bottom of the stone (probably with a toothpick). E6000 is my go-to for almost anything like jewelry and it holds well for a long time.

2 Likes

Buckle style tells me it’s later, but not sure how to narrow it down to a specific decade. Instead of gluing the stone with the missing piece, how about having Perry Null or another reputable dealer replace it? If you prefer to glue, personally I would use a super glue gel and rough up both connecting sides.

3 Likes

Thank you both. I have both glues- E6000 and Loctite super glue gel. I have used the E6000 for reattaching tips on new bolo cord. I think I’m just going to put a little glue on the broken turquoise for now and maybe send to Perry Null after the new wears off! :wink:
I have a piece of turquoise that the tip broke off of. Which would be the better choice for a noticeable repair of turquoise to turquoise?

So beautiful! I had my eye on one recently, but someone else grabbed it when I forgot to bid on it. I don’t have one yet, but I want one like this where there is the extra leather strip in back.

1 Like

I like that too. The woman I bought this from had two. I thought I would like the one with the rectangular buckle best (from a small phone picture). However, when she came back with it, the silver was thin and sharp. The corners were actually slightly curled. When I went to her house the next day I saw this one and it was much nicer quality. I’m happy. You probably missed that other one so that you’ll find an even better one. Happy hunting!

2 Likes

It is such a fantastic belt that I wouldn’t mess with glue; have it professionally done. Wonderful find!

2 Likes

That is insanely gorgeous. I’m greeeeen with envy!

2 Likes

I would also recommend a repair from Perry but if you ever have to glue any stone I recommend jewelera Hypo-cement. It has a very nice needle tip and is my go to for any stone/light ceramic repair. E6000 cures with a rubbery consistency and does not dry clear. Super glue can tend to yellow and be too brittle. The Hypo-Cement dries clear, soaks in better and has less brittleness and endurance than the others. Its a jewelery glue for stones and beads as well as a needle tip. That cracked stone definitely needs to be replaced or it will widdle itsself out in time. Beautiful Belt!
~Koliopee

1 Like

I have gotten a little wilder since then. There are now three…image imageThe left is the original, the middle is Andy Cadman Sleeping Beauty and the right is Tim Guerro Blue Gem.

7 Likes

60’s or 70’s, maybe even 80’s. It’s been worn… a lot. Repousse, meticulously made triple eyebrow stamps, chevrons, and sawtooth inner border stamps, punches are all very, very high quality and the work is impeccable. Bump out and bevel are uniform and superb. This belt was absolutely made by a master silversmith. Stones are natural, enlogated oval most likely cut by the maker specifically for the concha design. Without a hallmark its impossible to tell whether it is native or non native made, but from the refined, detailed, structure of the leather belt, and the the silver work, I’d wager this belt was made in or around Taos or Santa Fe by a non-native master silversmith, and there are many in that area. Fantastic piece. A treasure. Americana in the truest sense.

1 Like

@mmrogers Thank you for your very detailed analysis. I have learned new things which is always good. Would you be able to provide an approximate value so that I can include it in the book I keep for my children? Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

1 Like

It’s a substantial belt Looks like it’s fashioned from 14 - 16 gauge sterling sheet. Retail $2800 on the very low end, $4K+/- on the high end. More if silver keeps climbing the way it has been. If you bought it as an investment, keep it on the original leather. If you want to wear it, I suggest you have new leather made for it in your size, and keep the original leather somewhere safe.

1 Like

Thank you very much. I am keeping it on the original leather. It’s my goal to reduce some of this medicine induced weight enough to wear it. In the meantime it is safely ensconced in the safe.
I talked with Sunshine Reeves about the Andy Cadman belt so I have info on that one. I’m still researching the Blue Gem one but I think it is also a good one. Again, thanks for your help! :blush:

2 Likes