My first Squash Blossom necklace

Quetzalli!!

My very first Squash Blossom necklace! I’m over the top with my newest addition to my turquoise collection. This Squash Blossom was made in 1920 She’s 100 years old! 21 Morenci stones with a patina that shows it’s age elegantly. 6.5 ounces 24 inches. Took me time to get her but she came today. Now a family heirloom! Aaaaaahhooooo!! Quetzalli!!

18 Likes

Congratulations! It is beautiful and looks great on you!

1 Like

I’m floored lol thank you dearly.

1 Like

Congrats! You wear it well. What pretty stones.
About its date: I hope it’s okay to suggest that this sort of squash blossom necklace is from quite a bit later than 1920–surely the second half of the 20th c., and most likely ca 1970s-80s. Wear it in the best of health!

4 Likes

Very beautiful, I would love to own one!

2 Likes

Thank you. Really appreciate the date info. Seller said 1920 but I’m ok with 1970s it’s as old as me. The blossoms are strung so close together I want to say way before 1980s the blossoms were really spaced apart after the 70s. I am in love with it. The blues were really hard to capture much more vivid in person.

1 Like

Thank you i have fulfilled a dream today. Doesn’t happen often. I’m ecstatic

2 Likes

I love that feeling when I get a new piece of jewelry. I came across a lovely squash blossom on eBay back in the winter.
I passed on it because my son just got his braces on & I couldn’t justify it at the time but damn it’s still haunting me… :tired_face::ghost:

2 Likes

Your a good mom. My children are all grown. I’m now a proud gramma of two grandbaby girls and you know what…i decided Oh Yeah it’s time and i deserve to buy my dream necklace. l ain’t getting any younger. Gotta love layaway :smiley::raised_hands:t3:

2 Likes

I love the shorter blossom ends! The stones are lovely and it’s a great piece. And you look fabulous wearing it!

2 Likes

Very happy for you; it’s a fabulous piece! Wear it in good health!

2 Likes

Thank you kindly. It’s very comfortable with the shorter blossom ends. It’s a nice weight lays flat and moves with me. I can’t stop gazing at the stones. Happy Health to you as well.

2 Likes

I told my 91 year old mother in law that I was looking for books about turquoise because I collect NA jewelry. She is in the process of cleaning out her house and she gifted me her 1980’s two sided Zuni squash blossom necklace (didn’t even know she owned one!). She felt that I would appreciate it the most. I plan on handing it down to one of my children some day. I’m wondering what price I should insure it or where I can go to get it appraised. I’m very excited!

11 Likes

It’s beautiful! :heart::blue_heart:

2 Likes

Very nice! Victor Begay was famous for this style, although many others produced it also. Is it hallmark ed anywhere?

2 Likes

Thank you. I cannot find a hallmark. Where would one usually be?

Later……

So I looked up Victor Begay and I found the exact same one. Victor Moses Begay, Double Sided Squash Blossom Necklace I thought this was a Zuni squash blossom. I didn’t know Navajo made them in the cluster design.

2 Likes

I don’t know as much about squash blossoms, kind of not my thing, but Navajos definitely do cluster work, rings anyway, cause I have 3 :grin:

2 Likes

Marked on the side like the picture. But may be on inside.

1 Like

We get them new from a Navajo artist, Eldon James. The new ones sell for around $1000.

2 Likes

That seems cheap for all the work involved.

1 Like