My new Hopi bracelet, maybe someone can recognize the Hallmark

Discovered online and lucky that it fit just right. My wrists are tiny so most bracelets fall off. I think the one mark is for Hopicrafts, not sure if the tracks marks are indicative of the actual artisan. Thinking it dates from 70’s, maybe early 80’s.
Would appreciate anyone knowledgeable in Hopi sterling work weighing in. Thanks so much, if nothing else, it is fun to share. Have a great weekend!

5 Likes

I love it! Hopi work amazes me. I can possibly help. I snapped a couple pics from the book, “Hopi Silver, The History and Hallmarks of Hopi Silversmithing.” It’s not a recent addition, but it has helped me through the years. I believe you are correct that the mark with letters is from Hopi Enterprises/Crafts. This is in my book…

I don’t know if what I have is correct for the other mark, but I think those are possibly antelope tracks, and I do believe they signify the hallmark of the maker. Here’s what I have in the book that is similar to yours, but I’m not at all sure that it’s the same.

I noticed in this book that when there are two marks for an artist (not sure if this picture is of one or two hallmarks) sometimes they are both marks that the artist has used, but sometimes it means the whole thing is the mark, which would be different than yours. Your hallmark reminds me of the one on the right. You might try googling that artist and see what you find; I haven’t looked at anything online yet Hope this helps!

3 Likes

So I don’t believe your track mark is what is in my book; I looked it up on another page and I believe his mark is those double tracks with the s under them. But maybe try googling Hopi antelope hallmarks.

You might try contacting the Hopi Cultural Center Gift Shop on the Hopi Reservation, Second Mesa, AZ.
We visited there once, and they helped me figure out a hallmark on one of my rings.

1 Like

Thanks Ziacat for the research. I felt confident about it being Hopi made by the guild mark, but couldn’t figure out the tracks. Don’t have much Hopi, think years ago I was sold a necklace as Hopi but not being knowledgeable at the time, now think it is Navajo as it lacks the scratch marks.
Hopeful to make a trip out that way and maybe figure out some of my many mysteries in person, and just take in the wonderful and different scenery…

3 Likes

I also hope to get back out there soon. There’s just something about the 4 Corners area that is achingly beautiful. And nothing beats shopping in person! I’ve found many special places on or near the Navajo reservation, but don’t always find much Hopi jewelry in those shops/ trading posts. So one trip we traveled through the Hopi reservation and shopped at the Hopi Cultural Center and the Monongya Gallery (far west end of the Hopi Reservation close to Tuba City). If you can plan your trip to be able to get to more of the out of the way places like the older trading posts on the reservations, you will never regret it. Maybe they won’t have as large a selection as the galleries in the cities, but you will get a totally different experience, and a much better feel for the culture and history.

Enjoy your cuff; it’s beautiful.

Thank you Ziacat, was lucky this time with an online purchase. I have been to Hopi twice before, long ride, large mesa. That was back when my son was young and very much into collecting Kachinas. Back then, most of them, Navajo, came from visits to Earls in Gallup, and a few precious ones came from Hopi. Will see what time allows for, would really enjoy meeting some of the artisans from Hopi.

1 Like

So you know how special those places are! Course after all I said about preferring small places not in the cities, two of my favorite shops are in cities, Ogg’s Hogan in Prescott, AZ and Cowboys and Indians Antiques in ABQ. But there’s nothing like the older trading posts. And I need to get back to Gallup to shop. Been to Earl’s also! Can almost taste the food…

Going to Ogg’s Hogan was always a special treat and while I thought I was familiar with many great haunts, I must have missed Cowboys and Indians. Need to look that one up. Gallup is always fun, years ago, my mother told me she wanted a big chunky turquoise necklace - she was probably all of five feet, the necklace we found for her at Richardson’s just overwhelmed her and to date, never worn. One day I will locate and post, it was large but I have doubts about its quality. Used to love the Flea Market at Tesuque, but I guess after it moved and the pandemic, it is a thing of the past. Another place we loved was in Cerrillos called the What Not Shop. Many great finds. Fun to reminisce, thanks for bringing a smile to my face.

1 Like

Cowboys and Indians is on Central Ave. It’s headed farther east a little towards where it gets a bit seedy. You had to knock to be let in even on a Sunday afternoon. But it’s like a little museum, so worth it. I have a great book called Trading Post Guidebook which covers the Four Corners area that I’ve carried with me everywhere I went. Like I said on here before, a number of my favorite places have closed. And it did seem like Old Town Albuquerque got hit a bit hard from covid.

Glad to have made you smile! I love talking about the wonderful places in the Four Corners; other than my family, most people around here don’t get it. Next time I’m out there I’ll have to check the places you mentioned. I have nephews in NM and CO and a best friend in Phoenix, so I get to get out there quite a bit.

2 Likes