Mystery rock

Does anyone know what this stone is?

7 Likes

@Emily Hi ~ Oh, I like this ring! Looks like it could be from the 1970s-'80s. This looks like turquoise to me. The listing description gives no indication to the type of stone?

3 Likes

It could be Hubei Turquoise from China.

1 Like

They called it turquoise but it’s shopgoodwill.com and they’re not the most accurate.

2 Likes

@Emily I agree with @fernwood that it’s most likely Chinese turquose. It’s a beautiful stone, imo.

2 Likes

I haven’t been on SGW for a bit but did drop in yesterday and found a nice pair of John Honie earrings for a good price. Along with two other pairs that may be machine made. One with a CACTUS & mesa.

2 Likes

the cactus ones remind me of Gibson Gene’s overlay style.

2 Likes

Help me understand the pricing of these things. On SGW…first image has no hallmark. Ring is John Honie. Prices seem crazy.

1 Like

prices on SGW have been cray-cray the last few months. the cat is out of the bag. no more honey hole. :frowning:

4 Likes

Well, it makes no sense anyway, cause John Honie is Hopi (and works in the Hopi overlay style from what I could find), and this ring appears to be Navajo. This is his mark…

I have seen from shopping out west and at the Eiteljorg Indian Art Market that prices are definitely going up, but these seem high. I definitely paid up for what I bought in AZ, but at least I know exactly what I got.

2 Likes

I can’t find these listings, but when something makes little sense in price I do wonder about shill bidding. I don’t know how transparent SGW is on bidders, but eBay has done a great job in recent years obscuring the ability to detect shilling ( :roll_eyes:).

5 Likes

Correct Ziacat. On closer inspection of Hallmark, it looks like Mike Bird Romero. His items are expensive. someone on here aptly said…it’s all about the hallmark.

1 Like

They have been relisting the same items - I think someone is deciding they aren’t going for enough so they take away the winning bid. Considering this stuff is all DONATED this seems kind of unethical.

1 Like

Oh! Okay. I thought Goodwill was claiming it was Hopi, so at least they’re not saying it’s something it’s not.

Edit; that was not supposed to go back to me :laughing:

they also relist things if they are never paid for. I have seen a few things get bid up stupidly high, only to be relisted a week later and close for less.

2 Likes

^Sorta reeks of shill bidding.

3 Likes