Name that stone!

@Ziacat I apologize if I sounded harsh!
It’s so hard to make a distinction when looking at a photo. Some stones really resemble others
when not seen in person.

2 Likes

Thank you. I think I was just grumpy this am (unrelated to this forum). Fire agates look beautiful. There’s a rock store in MI my husband likes to visit. I’ll have to see if they have any next time we are there.

2 Likes

I think it is an agate. Definitely not a Mexican fire opal.

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, but here is my collection of Mexican fire opals. They’re very orange, typically, although I have seen one that is almost clear with orange flashes in it.

The one on the far left that looks like a triangle, and the second picture below is called fire tongue agate. Also a bit more orange than what you have, but I have seen a lot of different colors of agate, some fire agates can look somewhat brown, too. Agates seem to have that swirly, creamy look to them like yours does.

2 Likes

Looking at three pictures of stones side by side and everyone’s input, it definitely has the most characteristics of fire agate. The caramel color, the speckles of green & gold. You all have a good eye! I hadn’t caught the multi-colored speckles when I first looked at it. Now I just need to decipher the inscription on the back. That may lead to more clues of age and origin. Thank you all for taking the time to post your thoughts!

2 Likes