Native American Bead work Reference

Greetings from Alabama everyone. I am working away on this estate jewelry lot that I purchased. I have learned A LOT about turquoise, although it sure is a challenge. I also have a bundle of Native American bead work items that I would like to identify by pattern. Can anyone point me towards a good reference? I have been Googling and reading until my eye balls are falling out of their sockets. Although I know much more now than I did 2 hours ago, I need more info. Thank you! Anna

Are we talking bead necklaces, or bead work sown on garments?

I have necklaces (probably tourist items), loom bracelets, a 20/0 tiny moccasin, an overlay hair clip, a peyote pendant, mosaic headband, a leather bag with thunder bird on the front and my favorite is an old, hand sewn necklace that is more like a sash that has metal medallions incorporated and tassles on the bottom that are tipped with 20/0 seed beads. Because I will forever regret how the Native Americans were treated, it’s important to me to be accurate when I’m attempting to sell something of theirs, or inspired by their culture so I would like to identify the patterns.

You might enjoy a book titled “Arts and Crafts of the Native American Tribes”-Johnson & Yenne.
George M.White’s “Native American Moccasins” also has a lot of info.

1 Like

Thank you so much for that information. I see many, MANY new books in my future!

While I’m ordering books…best book(s) for learning about turquoise please? Thanks everyone!

there’s a whole thread here somewhere about turquoise reference books - let me see if i cna find it

Thank you Jemez! I’m on it.

If your library is open,see if they can track down copies before buying. I’ve tried a few & I didn’t want to bother to keep some.

1 Like

Oh…forgot. Youtube has an interesting “…conversation about turquoise with Gene Wadell”

owns the Lone Mountain Mine