Navajo Storyteller Ring

Can anyone help me identify what artist created this storyteller ring?
Thank you!

Darryl

Uploading: 20210728_112444.jpg…

1 Like

@Darryl I may be wrong but I was told that the term “925” wasn’t used on Native American pieces. Only the word Sterling. Although your ring phrases both 925 and sterling plus the 10K. I’ll be watching this for further input.

1 Like

Let me correct that, I went back to my messages and reread one that stated “most Native American pieces are marked sterling vs. 925.” Most, not all.

1 Like

Thank you shub33, I appreciate your input.

1 Like

Evidently someone working for T. C. Case & Co., a NM shop. LinkedIn says it’s owned by Tom Case and in business since the 60s. Perhaps an Anglo enterprise employing Navajo workers, @Jason probably knows?

Here are two similar listings.

2 Likes

The .925 rule for Native American jewelry is definitely a rule that is sometimes broken. Sterling is much more common for sure, but there are a handful of mostly more recent artists that use .925. Here is a photo I stole from @Bigbree43 that’s a composite of several images from Hougart’s:

4 Likes

Thank you @OrbitOrange!

1 Like

Tom Case worked as a salesman for my company in the early 90’s. Prior to that Tom had a window washing business. Tom’s parent’s Tom and Judy Case (longtime, and true family friends) were long time very good customers of mine, who during the 70’s wholesaled on the road, and had wholesale and retail Native American jewelry businesses (authentic Navajo, Zuni, Santo Domingo, you name it). Their hallmark was a stylized TJC. Tom ran one of their stores for a while in Cheyenne Wyoming. But that was in the mid to late 70’s not the 60’s.

The gold and silver line is from the 90’s (after Tom worked for M. M. Rogers and Co.) and perhaps a little bit beyond.

Plenty of .925 stamps sold through Indian Jewelers Supply and Thunderbird, starting in the 70’s when Europeans primarily from Germany and France started coming over to buy Indian Jewelry. Sterling stamps were more prevalent and still are, but plenty of authentic Native American jewelry from that day to this had a .925 stamp on it.

4 Likes

Hi MM! :relaxed: Haven’t seen ya around in a bit, hope you are doing well.

2 Likes

Hi Tara! I’ve been busy with the move to Texas, and setting up the new studio here. Keeping very busy with new designs and new projects and enjoying every minute! Hope you’re having great summer!

4 Likes

Here are a couple of snapshots of some of my most recent work from the Texas studio. Original Arabesque scrollwork, deep relief single point engraving in sterling. Copyright (c) 2021, M. M. Rogers, All rights exclusively reserved.

13 Likes

That is really nice, thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

That is God given talent! What a gift you have.
Kimberly

3 Likes