Need a little help here……

I got this 15” T. Singer necklace in a lot of jewelry. It has the T. Singer tag. It kind of threw me when I saw the flower type mini spacers as these are something that can be purchased commercially and not handmade. I also noticed that interspersed with the silver and turquoise, there are some glass and stone beads. I think it may have been restrung as it doesn’t lay completely flat and has crimp beads. I have seen similar but not exactly the same ones on Etsy. Thoughts? I want to list it in my store but not sure.

1 Like

I think you’re absolutely right about it being re-strung, and as it doesn’t lay flat, not re-strung well. Plus, those spacers seem way out of place…restringing a necklace is one thing but adding spacers / beads alters the piece and imo - even if it was a named artist’s work, those additions have changed the maker, it’s not a Tommy Singer necklace anymore.

3 Likes

You can always take a pic and ask them personally if it’s original or adulerated>

1 Like

Tommy is no longer with us

2 Likes

You made a good point @Christibo. After his death his widow and children continued his name. They have now changed the hallmark but the work is not like the old Tommy Singer pieces. Look up some Tommy and Rose Singer pieces. They string necklaces similar to this.
That being said, this made definitely have been a restring. Good luck.

1 Like

I don’t think the spacers or odd beads were added at restringing. I have seen quite a few similar ones online. But I think it is not a plus.

2 Likes

Mass-produced Thai spacers is not what we’re after, generally.

1 Like

I think this may be used for parts to make earrings. Maybe.

1 Like

Most definitely IMHO has been altered. I have watched the “new” line of Singer necklaces sell for hundreds of dollars and there is no way this was done by any member of the group that represents his work now. One of the biggest mistakes people who know nothing about stringing a necklace make is to get it to tight. They don’t allow for the movement of different size beads or it hanging flat without kinks. The tag could have come from any of his previous work. This style of necklace has both Tommy & Rose’s mark on it usually, not just his. Tha barrel beads don’t look right either.
Just my 2 cents worth.

2 Likes

I looked at a couple Tommy Singer necklaces I have and one does have a spacer and I know it wasn’t restrung. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Beautiful necklace. That does look like things I’ve seen by him, but the one in the initial post just looks weird, like it was taken apart and not put to back together right, like it wouldn’t hang smoothly.

Just curious, is the necklace on the right purple spiny oyster? I wasn’t very familiar with that till I saw some at the market this weekend.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a huge, heavy necklace of spiny oyster beads. The pics are more of an inventory than beauty shots - the color in all of them are off.

2 Likes

Beautiful! Love that one on the right also.

1 Like

Found this on his necklaces. But they just “feel” different than the first one posted.

2 Likes

Interesting. I would think yours to be Singer instantly due to the raised pattern bear and drum beads. I also see yours has some random beads like mine that are outside what we usually see. But I also see yours has crimp beads. The logo is in cursive and mine is printed. This does not necessarily phase me as Singer and family have used many variations. As I said, I have seen many on Etsy and other places that look like mine.

I am now wondering If I should get it professionally restrung.

Also that purple spiny oyster is obviously a fake so please mail it to me for disposal (just kidding)

3 Likes

You made me literally LOL. Hmmm… Maybe that one is on the right is fake and it should be sent to me.

4 Likes