Need help identifying unsigned petit point ring

Hi! I just got this petit point ring. While I think it could be Zuni, without any identifying marks I know there’s no way to be certain of who might have made it. I am wondering though if this is a very common style done by many artists or just a few? Hoping maybe someone out there might be able to help confirm if it is likely Zuni or any other information about it. Thanks in advance to all of you who take the time to read and to those who might add to the conversation :wink:

Sara

5 Likes

Hi Shinz

You would be correct in guessing that this is a Zuni ring. Your ring was probably made in the 70’s. It has an older look to it, but I think if the ring was made prior to that date, it would have a split ring shank like most older pieces do. Again, with out any marks, it would be difficult to attribute this style to a specific maker.

4 Likes

Thanks Bree for mentioning the split shank. I learn so much from you.

3 Likes

I’m no help but it is very pretty.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the information. This is such an educational forum! That’s interesting about split shanks typically being on older rings.

1 Like

Thank you for checking it out and for your kind comment!

1 Like

BigBree43, I’m wondering about the darker stone and hoping you have an idea about it - do you think it is the natural color of that piece of turquoise or has darkened for some reason, or is possibly another type of stone?

Thanks for your help,
Sara

2 Likes

Yes, I was gonna comment about it but I didn’t want to overwhelm you because I can talk forever about turquoise lol. I don’t think it was a replacement in this case. I think here that the color of the turquoise changed from coming in contact with body oils (happens in older pieces). If it were replaced, i think little bezel around the stone would show evidence of such.

1 Like

Great tip on the split shank; I didn’t know that.

1 Like

@singingriverjewelry @OrbitOrange it’s not always the case, I just feel like the split shank fell out of style a bit during the 70’s. Again, It’s not always the case, but I’ve noticed most older rings are split shank

3 Likes

Hi Bree, Is this considered a split shank- even though there is two prongs connecting to the face? I noticed in your examples there were three prongs connecting to the face. I’m wondering if this is an older piece
It’s marked J.B.D .

1 Like

Yes, anything with two or more would be a split shank.

1 Like

I love this ring. Is it for sale?