Need help to Id type, Hallmark stamp ((SD an Hallmark W

While a student at the University of Arizona, I purchased both bracelets around 1972, and I would like to know what tribe, what type of turquoise, and most importantly each separate craftsman. Also, if possible note the approximate value of each piece?

1. After some research I believe the first turquoise necklace is ‘Navajo’ and that the ‘Hallmark’ signature might be that of William Singer (??).

2. The second ‘butterfly’ necklace - no clue - so if you can tell me anything about this necklace it would be much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance for your time and of course your knowledge!

1 Like

Looks like William Singer. That makes sense. Not sure what the relationship with Tommy Singer is, but this family is known for chip inlay. It would be hard to tell what mine the turquoise comes from, the red would be pieces of Mediterranean Coral. Some collectors look for these 1970s chip inlay jewels, I would put the piece around $1800.

The other piece is very interesting. Great pieces of solid turquoise. Tom and Phil Woodard are brothers and owned Indian Jewelry Supply. This looks like their shop hallmark. If you dates are right that means this is not Chinese Turquoise. The price is going depend on if we can figure out who carved those butterflies. It is most likely a Zuni artist. You might contact Indian Jewelry Supply and see if they will put you in contact with Phil.

Thanks for sharing and hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks Jason! During my research I found the following:
“William Singer, the brother of Charlie, Jackie and the late Tommy Singer, has used
various hallmarks since 1972: SD (both side by side and offset), SDX, SDXX, SDV, S/D, all variations of the Singer-Dodge family shop hallmark.

The Singer family grew up in the community of Dilcon on the Navajo Reservation
in Arizona. They have been involved in silver smithing, stone and bead work for quite some time, handing down the skills and artistic ability from one generation to another.” quote taken from an ebay listing description.

I will take the advice to contact Indian Jewelry Supply and will post any info I obtain. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge much appreciated. TU!

1 Like

Hi,
You have two beautiful necklaces! The first certainly has a mark similar to those used by William Singer, but please check out S. Dixon, Navajo, who also does chip inlay work. The mark look like that of S. Dixon as it appears in Bille Hougart’s book and Barton Wright’s book. I would agree that the W mark looks to be that of the Woodland Indian shop, again using both of these books as references. Neither book gives the name just the letter S for Dixon but both state Navajo and chip inlay work. I would hesitate to put a value on either as that would depend on the part of the country you are located in and the market conditions there. Hope this helps.

Singer004

1 Like

First, thank you for responding!

Please review the following, “Indian Native American & South West marks, letter: ‘S’”,

fourth row down, the first hallmark suggest either S Dixon or William Singer, the very last hallmark indicates William Singer.

Yes, very similar. ? Does it look to you as if the first hallmark is raised rather than ‘cut’ into the metal? eg. William Singer Hallmark.

Jason, I sent an email to Indian Jewelry Supply, however, I have yet to receive a response to my inquiry. Any suggestion on methodology to determine the ‘W’ hallmark and/or determination of the artist? Once again thanking you in advance for your time and Knowledge …

In Hougart’s book he has two different Ws that are associated with the Woodard hallmark. The one on the back of this butterfly isn’t one of them, but I imagine that their are more than two. It makes sense to me that Mr. Woodard had these great carved Zuni fetishes and uses one of his smiths to make the silver setting. Your best bet is try and get someone at Indian Jewelry Supply to get you in touch. He would be happy to help with this necklace.

Thanks Jason, will do and keep you informed.

Jason, first, Mr. Woodard is no longer at Indian Jewelry Supply. However, I was able to speak with Lisa who worked with Mr. Woodard. I emailed her pictures of the necklace. Her response: _“Walter This was from his private collection I believe. I have no information on this item. Sorry I couldn’t help you. Lisa” She did, however, tell me that he is located in Midland, TX. Thus, my search will continue! Will keep you update too!