Nephrite ring with unknown hallmark

The stone on this is a deep green which doesn’t show too well in this image. I think it is nephrite as it does not look like greasy green turquoise. The hallmark is listed as an unknown on the hallmark site. Does anyone know who made this?

1 Like

Alternatively, it could be agate. I got nothing on hallmark, sorry.

2 Likes

Hi That hallmark is for Joe Eby (Anglo). The stone might be obsidian. It can be green in certain light. Does the color shift as you move it?

3 Likes

Thanks glad you knew the mark.

1 Like

ask him if he remembers what stone he used in that setting

https://www.ebygeebies.com/about

1 Like

Yay! Just sent them an email.

2 Likes

Just got a note back from Gina. Eby, Joe’s wife, and she said it is not their hallmark. So the search continues.

1 Like

Sorry about that - I got it from Hougart’s third edition, I’ll have to make a note in my book

2 Likes

SOURCE: https://doubledranch.com/products/pin-collection-thunderbird-little-wing?_pos=4&_sid=847e18d06&_ss=r

1 Like

Hougarts is pretty reliable. What can I say.

3 Likes

The strange thing is, Rich’s Chavez’ hallmark is similar except it has an R instead of an E. So I wonder if it someone in his family.

1 Like

Hello everyone. I have been enjoying this forum and learning some new things. This is my first post. I was surprised to see the hallmark on the ring posted here is quite similar to the hallmark on a pendant that I have. I received the pendant as a gift from a friend in college, around 1983, and have been looking on and off over the years to try and identify the hallmark without success. I posted here to maybe add some additional information and hopefully someone at some time will be able to provide more clues about the hallmark. I look forward to learning more! :grinning:

6 Likes

It’s certainly very close if not the same hallmark. Hope we get an answer eventually.

So I reached out to Bille Hougart -
I have a question about a Joe Eby makers mark in the Third Edition p.126-E. There are three marks pictured. The mark on the right - the one without spider image - Gina Eby responded to a question about the mark stating that it wasn’t an Eby makers mark. Can you shed any light on this mark and why there may a discrepancy? Thanks for your help.

His response -
You may check out the 5th edition when it is published this summer.

My Response -
The Third Edition information is wrong?

His response - Way out of date….each edition builds on the previous one….mistakes are cleared up. New marks go in, etc etc.

Hmmm… am I wrong or is that some kind of b.s. response?

1 Like

if there were no corrections, additions or updates it would be called a 5th printing rather than a 5th edition

1 Like

@snowday I’d say a combo platter of a response. Yes, with better info a guide like his must improve, and I give him credit for that. It’s not what Schaaf does, in contrast.

The other side is, he could simply have taken a minute and shared what he now has to say about Eby, versus monetizing his response, basically (“buy the book”). This is a courtesy it would have cost him nothing for and a motivator to you, actually, to regard him favorably as a resource and potentially buy the book!

He’s not much of an aftercare communicator. My copy bought new, the 4th edition, has profoundly sh#tty cover stock, way too lightweight, so it curls up and hangs on like a dangling baby tooth. I was ultra careful in how I communicated this to him and suggested next time using better cover stock (honestly, I was nice). No response.

7 Likes

“Dangling baby tooth” I laughed out loud :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

OK. What"s your point?

The first edition doesn’t have the mark in question. The third edition does. There’s no explanation why this mark was added so I doubt there will be an explanation in the fifth edition if the mark is either kept in or deleted. He could have said “I don’t know”, or “I don’t answer those kind of questions because I’d be answering them all day”, but telling me to buy the book is a guarantee that I won’t.

4 Likes

reference books like this are a constant work in progress and need to be updated when new information is presented or compiled.
every post and info shared on this forum is a learning experience.
in this thread we learned even the experts sometimes get some bad intel that makes it into print.

1 Like