New belt for my wife that I wanted to share

I came across this and fell in love with it. My wife and I will be going to Cherokee next week and we always stop at a leather shop for her to pick up materials for projects. The owner is a native american gentleman who has been leather working for over 60 years. I will surprise her when I take it out to purchase a belt for it. I took a photo with the bill to give an idea of the size of the pieces and buckle. It is unsigned and I have no idea of the turquoise type. Just wanted to share. This is the first cast piece I have acquired.

22 Likes

Oh my gosh, that’s awesome! If my hubby surprised me with that, I might faint :rofl:

Cherokee NC? We have been there several times while visiting Great Smokey Mountain NP, but I’ve missed that shop. Although last time we found a nice Native Arts shop. What a beautiful area.

If I had to guess for fun, I’d guess Kingman or maybe SB nuggets.

3 Likes

Very impressive! I would love to see them on a finished belt!
You must came back and show us!

2 Likes

Definitely, I will take some pictures when I give it to her.

3 Likes

Ziacat and anyone else who visits, the shop is Village Leather. The owner is one of the nicest person you can meet and has great prices and quality goods

Yes I would guess Kingman or Sleeping Beauty also

2 Likes

Great looking belt! I follow sandcast buckles and belts closely and I don’t recall ever seeing this pattern. Always a bonus when there are not multiples out there. Congrats!

2 Likes

Wonderful find @markyboy57 !

2 Likes

Ahh, You outbid me! Congrats it’s so awesome. Those Conchos are huge! Please post photo when you get em on a belt so my heart can break again (just kidding)

4 Likes

Thank you TAH, I was hoping for some insight from you. Your buckles are actually the inspiration for finding one for myself. Instead I ended up with this belt for my wife, but that is ok. I will find a nice one for myself. It is interesting that you have not seen this pattern, as I have been searching for something similar for the past few days and have come up empty. The seller sent me a message after the close of the bidding saying that he rarely does that, but was very excited about this piece and that he almost kept it foe himself. I feel quite blessed to get it.

4 Likes

Thank you Steves Trail.

1 Like

I am sorry that I outbid you. You never know who is bidding too. I paid more than I should have, but it is one that really spoke to me for it’s uniqueness and size. I find many pieces look great, but are quite small. My wife has been wanting a belt for quite awhile but most would have looked too small on her.
She will have to pick out the belt color, but I am leaning towards brown because of the patina. Hopefully you won’t cry again, as I do know how hard it is to be on the losing side of an auction.

3 Likes

Aww it’s ok :slight_smile: It’s the name of the game! I think some pieces are meant to be with certain people :slight_smile: I bet your wife will absolutely love it. I really liked the flared shape of the Conchos. I never seen ones like it. I wonder how old it is??

3 Likes

I wonder too. Being unmarked it could be older than I think, but now 60’s and 70’s is old. Boy where did the years go! But you never know it could be a newer piece someone made. The seller said most of what he gets comes from estates in the LA area, Hollywood Hills, Malibu, Santa Monica, Pasadena and Beverly Hills. Maybe a custom piece made for someone

4 Likes

Thinking about what he said I am assuming it is an older piece. He was saying that he is acquiring such a large amount of estate finds these days that must mean people are getting older and selling off their goods or dying off. We are only the caretakers of these things after all. Hopefully our kids pass them along as well

4 Likes

Really neat belt with a bold, unique cast design, I like it a lot. Congrats! I hope your wife loves it—and that she doesn’t find it on this site and ruin the surprise! Looking forward to hearing her reaction and seeing the finished product.

4 Likes

Mark,

The fact that the buckle has a solid bar belt attachment rather than a commercial hinge bar attachment means it could be earlier than the 1960s. Of course, the bar type is not a reliable or determining factor, but something I consider on vintage buckles.

As for the belt and because of the nice, aged patina on the silver, I suggest a distressed oiled leather belt made of “Crazy Horse” leather. Not sure what width strap the copper loops will accept, but Etsy is a good place to find different widths. Below is a belt that is only one inch wide. You could ask the seller to not rivet the buckle in place. Chicago screws are much better. The right leather can elevate a concho belt to another level. Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help!

1 Like

Thanks for the lead @TAH . The leather shop is about 5 miles from me. Good to know.

2 Likes

WTG Mark (@markyboy57 ). When I was doing antique shows two middle aged women were looking at my jewelry selection. One said she would have to “ask her husband” before purchasing a ring. Her friend turned to her and said: I told my husband “a good woman is expensive to keep!” She bought a ring. I since made more sales using that quote. Cheers!

6 Likes

Thanks TAH. That belt is gorgeous. It makes me happy to see a belt that requires minimal break-in
If the shop in Cherokee does not have something like that I will definitely have to order it . Plus a great price!

2 Likes

I’ll remind my hubby of that this next weekend when I shop at the Eiteljorg Indian Art Market :grin:

Seriously, he’s happy I prefer silver and turquoise to gold and diamonds LOL

4 Likes