New to turquoise...is this stone real?

Good morning. I tried to post last night, but maybe didn’t do something right - it didn’t show up. I decided to try again and take pictures in the sunlight - so hopefully it will be easier to see this stone.

The ring was purchased from ebay several months ago. I was showing friends my beginner turquoise collection jewelry and noticed this stone sort of jumped out of the picture. It was bluer and the color was sort of flat across the stone - not counting the matrix. Then I started reading up on turquoise and realized there are all sorts of stone out there that are doctored. I really love this stone, but it’s so flat blue - is it real?

Attached are close ups with the matrix pictures. The ring is signed WB. The side of the ring shows copper with the silver. Anything you can tell me about the stone or the artist is GREATLY appreciated.

PS: I am new so my posts are awaiting approval for a reply, if you comment - thanks.

How does the matrix feel? I’m still definitely a rookie, but a jewelers’ loupe to see the detail of the surface of the stone for how the color looks (not TOO even and maybe a little mottled) and if I can catch my nail a bit or see holes in the matrices make me feel better towards genuine.

1 Like

It’s a lovely color. Turquoise colors are pretty varied. I have a simple Sleeping Beauty ring that has no matrix and fairly robins egg blue. My little ones on the school bus called it my evil stepmother ring (from Cinderella :laughing:).

2 Likes

The turquoise doesn’t look real to me. Hope others with more expertise will chime in soon.

1 Like

by the way, you can feel the matrix it a little, but no crevices or cracks. These is a plastic feel to it - stabilized?

Thanks…it’s just… odd. I don’t know much about turquoise. Here is a matrix close up! Lot’s of tiny dots.
thanks for your answer! 20200720_185601|375x500

It does have an older appearance to it.
You could try sticking a hot pin/needle on the very edge by the bezel.

1 Like

It looks like a piece of stabilized turquoise.

1 Like

Oh and also, normally the matrix is softer than the turquoise so as a piece is in the final buffing it will wear away some, leaving it slightly lower than the turquoise. So you can feel and sometimes see the difference

1 Like

I’m going with Jason on this one. The stone looks real based on the matrix pattern. The even color and the high polish does suggest stabilization. The pin test is a good idea. if it smells like burnt plastic it’s stable. You can try a non-destructive test like the wet lip test. Yep in the mouth again! Untreated turquoise absorbs moisture and will slightly stick to your wet lip. Stabilized turquoise is not porous and does not stick. soft turquoise like chalk turquoise will pull your lip off ! Hope this helps, Kyle