No Mark Slave Bracelet

I just received this Slave bracelet and hoped it was marked… but I find none except sterling. Are there a lot of unmarked out there? It was in auction said Navajo. But I am a late bloomer learning!

4 Likes

I have a number of pieces that aren’t hallmarked, but I believe they are older than this; there were quite a few of these made in the ‘70’-80’s I think. I don’t really know much about them.

2 Likes

It sure looks like Navajo to me!
Pretty!

2 Likes

Yes, totally not uncommon for older NA pieces not to be marked. I have a good many that aren’t even marked sterling (although that’s far more unusual).

1 Like

Thank you! I did find this information online. And saw it verified a couple places.

In 1973, the European Community (EC) officially recognized 925/1000 as the standard for sterling silver and 925 as the official standard mark. Before the 1860s, Americans marked silver pieces with “Coin” or “Pure Coin”. After that, “Sterling”, “Sterling Silver”, and “925” became the most common terms used

1 Like

Thank you! I agree, its beauty got me!

1 Like

Just so you know, 925 is seldom used on Native American jewelry. I only have one piece with 925, and it is also hallmarked by the artist (and I purchased it directly from him). But yours is marked with “sterling,” so it could be Navajo. In general if I see a piece of jewelry with no hallmark that has 925, I might wonder if it’s not Native made.

I meant I don’t know much about the style of your piece, with the chain and all.

2 Likes

Good to know thank you! I need to get all my pieces I think are Native American separate from my other auction pieces. And evaluate again. I know one small pendant is marked 925 and JC which I found in one listing online claiming Jessie Claw. But I look and find his pieces with sterling not 925. And several of same design on Google. So guessing not NA. It’s small fits in a quarter.

This pendant is machine cast, not hand made. As such it really couldn’t be considered Native American although I believe it’s meant to look Native American in style.

1 Like

Thank you! I found a bunch of them for sale online so I figured! Maybe something like QVC does! Will put that machine made style in my brain to remember! :wink: Hopefully it’s gettin pretty full!