Not Native American

My dad bought this for me in 1976. My family was big into catalog shopping. This came from the Unity catalog, which would be like HSN or Costco today. I was a kid then and didn’t understand that everyone in the universe was copying Native American jewelers. I just wanted a turquoise anything. I suspect it may be Asian. I am posting here because I keep seeing ones exactly like it listed on Ebay as Native American. It seems to be cast silver and real turquoise. It is unmarked.

1 Like

I think this is Native American. I am not sure what Unity Catalog is, but sandcast bracelets are a perfect candidate for a mail-order catalog because the design is consistent. I am thinking the ones on Ebay have a different stone? This turquoise looks real, and at this date I imagine if it was being made in Asia it could possibly have a piece of Asian turquoise, which this is not.

3 Likes

I agree with Jason. It is a very unique design for a sand cast bracelet, which might be why you aren’t finding anything similar. It is definitely Native American and a great piece to own.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I think you’re right. I was speculating on the Asia part, plus wouldn’t they have had to mark it as such to get it into the country? Unity sold everything from tools to sporting goods, clothes and jewelry similar to Walmart. They went under I think in the 90s. I looked at stone again and it’s real matrix too. Metal is definitely cast. Which brings me to my next question: is this type of silverwork repairable?

1 Like

It can be repaired. The person would put a piece of silver plate behind the crack and solder it.

2 Likes