NYC Jewelry Week! Sonwai! Verma Nequatewa niece of LoLoma!

Hopefully this shows pictures! From my cut and paste…Everyone must rewatch this part of the youtube video about the Historical presentation and Interview of A very important look into Modern Native American Jewelry Culture! If anyone cant find it just message me and I will help you navigate to it! Its a must see from a very amazing Hopi artisan who was a niece and one of the two protege of Charles Loloma! So amazing to have this current storytelling experience from a living and practicing NA Jeweler.
~Koliopee

DOWNLOAD FULL SCHEDULEDOWNLOAD ZOOM BACKGROUNDS

November 16th – 22nd, 2020

ScheduledDurational

Wednesday, November 18

10:30 am-10:45 am

IG Live

Day 3: Intro

Hosted by Andrea Rosales-Balcarcel

Join Andrea Rosales-Balcarcel, NYCJW Outreach Coordinator, on IG Live, and get hyped for Day 3!

DETAILS

Wednesday, November 18

10:45 am-11:30 am

Full CircleMindful Adornment

Intentional Ecosystems

with Brooklyn Metal Works

Join Brooklyn Metal Works co-founders Erin Daily & Brian Weissman in a discussion about intentional studio practice and creating sustainable and responsible ecosystems in the jewelry industry.

DETAILS

Wednesday, November 18

11:30 am-12:30 pm

ConvoPlaying for Keeps

RENAISSANCE BLING

with Sandra Hindman and KEEGAN GOEPFERT

Feast your eyes and join Sandra Hindman and Keegan Goefert to learn about original jewels from the High Renaissance—opulent, expensive objects worn by the nobility as accessories of dress.

DETAILS

Wednesday, November 18

12:30 pm-1:30 pm

ConvoJewelry For All

Sonwai: A Discussion of Hopi Modern Jewelry

Verma Nequatewa in conversation with Mahnaz Ispahani

A conversation with Mahnaz Ispahani and Verma Nequetewa, aka Sonwai, the leading contemporary female master goldsmith and lapidary.

DETAILS

Wednesday, November 18

1:45 pm-2:00 pm

IG LivePlaying for Keeps

15 Minutes With…Nina Runsdorf

NINA RUNSDORF

15 Mins With…draws together artists, brands, and individuals that represent the richness of the jewelry community, bringing them to you on Instagram Live twice a day during NYCJW.

DETAILS

Wednesday, November 18

2:00 pm-3:00 pm

TourCultural Experiment

Tour Museo Gioelli Vicenza

with Director Alba Cappellieri

Join Director of the Museo del Gioiello Alba Cappellieri for a tour of the museum’s exceptional jewelry collection.

DETAILS

Wednesday, November 18

4:00 pm-4:30 pm

IG LiveBench Business

In Their Element: Adam Grinovich

Experience the world of Adam Grinovich

Join your favorite jewelers, artists, authors, stylists and curators for a deep dive into what motivates them.

DETAILS

Wednesday, November 18

4:30 pm-5:30 pm

ConvoPlaying for Keeps

New York Jewels Circa 1900

The birth of design culture in America

A conversation between Macklowe Gallery’s Ben Macklowe and The Met’s Sheila Smithie on turn-of-the-century design and how it changed the trajectory of American jewelry in the eyes of the world.

DETAILS

Wednesday, November 18

5:30 pm-6:00 pm

IG LiveBench Business

In Their Element: Sheryl Jones

Experience the world of Sheryl Jones

Join your favorite jewelers, artists, authors, stylists and curators for a deep dive into what motivates them.

DETAILS

Wednesday, November 18

6:00 pm-7:00 pm

Full CircleFull Circle

The RealReal x Prounis

Holiday Jewelry Collection Launch with Lynn Yaeger

Join The RealReal’s Fine Jewelry Expert Katie Ward and Jean Prounis for an exclusive panel discussion moderated by Lynn Yaeger on elevated sustainability, intentional gifting this holiday season, and what it means to accessorize in this “new normal”.

DETAILS

Wednesday, November 18

6:45 pm-7:00 pm

IG LiveThe now Now

15 Minutes With…BOND Hardware

BOND HARDWARE

15 Mins With…draws together artists, brands, and individuals that represent the richness of the jewelry community, bringing them to you on Instagram Live twice a day during NYCJW.

DETAILS

Wednesday, November 18

7:00 pm-8:00 pm

PanelBench Business

The Ideal Jewelry Library

with Ruth Peltason, Sotheby’s Carol Elkins, and Joanna Hardy

From the basic to the best - what’s the right jewelry book library for you? Three experts discuss what to consider when forming a more perfect library of jewelry books.

DETAILS

Wednesday, November 18

8:00 pm-8:30 pm

After HoursFull Circle

After Hours: Living Room Sessions

Join Christina T. Miller, Founder of the Living room sessions

After Hours is a place to unwind with some of our best up and coming jewelry makers, thinkers, and lovers who will be giving you the real talk about their practice, process, or community.

DETAILS

Discover more affiliated events here

Events

ConvoJewelry For All

Sonwai: A Discussion of Hopi Modern Jewelry

Verma Nequatewa in conversation with Mahnaz Ispahani

PreviousNext

November 18, 2020

12:30 pm - 1:30 pm

EVENT OVER

A conversation with Verma Nequatewa, aka Sonwai, the leading contemporary female master goldsmith and lapidary. Acknowledged for both her design sensibility and her technical brilliance, this Hopi artist started her career as the protege of the father of modern Native jewelry, Charles Loloma. Moderated by Mahnaz Ispahani.

Mahnaz CollectionWEBSITE

[image]

Participants

• Mahnaz Ispahani (Moderator)

Founder & CEO Mahnaz Collection

Mahnaz is a longtime East Coast American, raised in her early years in South Asia, where jewelry, whether a simple metal bangle or a fine gold and enameled piece, is very much a part of daily adornment, life’s central rituals and the security of women.

“I am a constantly curious explorer of the world’s cultures. My family heritage includes the art, design and architecture of the Mughal, Persian and Western modernist worlds. My Bombay-born grandmother gave me a tiny pair of late Victorian emerald and seed pearl earrings when I was 5 or 6. Most of the time, my doll wore them. My first proper watch as a young teenager was a gift from my mother – an Omega designed by the British avant-garde jewelry designer Andrew Grima. I myself later collected antique Mughal era kundan and meenakari jewelry. I have traveled and worked across continents, finding small portable, sculptural objects along the way – in Russia, former Yugoslavia, Brazil, Guatemala, Sri Lanka, Nigeria, Senegal, Mali. I find peace in the beauties of nature, and especially so in the ancient, monumental landscapes of the American Southwest. I am a scholar and hold a PhD in international relations, with a BA in the liberal arts. My career, prior to starting Mahnaz Collection, was in the fields of international policy and professional philanthropy.”

@mahnazcollection

• Verma Nequatewa SONWAI

Hopi Master Goldsmith and Lapidary

Sonwai is the artistic name used by Verma Nequatewa.

Verma began working with her uncle, the late Charles Loloma, in the mid-1960’s and continued working with him until his studio closed in the early 1990’s. At that time, she opened her own studio and has been continuing his teachings through her own jewelry. In 2007, Verma published the book, Visions of Sonwai, which showcases many of her jewelry pieces from her 20 years of working under the Sonwai hallmark

Sonwai jewelry is available at the following galleries:

Faust Gallery, Scottsdale, Arizona

Shiprock Santa Fe, Santa Fe, NM

http;//www.shiprocksantafe.com/

Funny Co., Ltd… Japan

Raven Makes Gallery, Sisters, Oregon

[image]follow NYCJW on Instagram!

1 Like