Odd Stone

Do y’all know what stone this is? It looks unusual to me. You guys are awesome! Thanks!

3 Likes

Looks like turquoise to me. I’ve got a stone that looks kinda like that. Love it! I like that simple style.

2 Likes

It is a lovely ring! But much to big. I am going to have to have someone size it for me.

1 Like

Hi–could it be broken arrow variscite?

2 Likes

It looks like variscite to me.

1 Like

It could be. From what I am reading variscite tends to be more green than turquoise. Broken Arrow variscite has similar color.

1 Like

I don’t know much about variscite. Does it have chunky matrix like that? There is a lot of green turquoise, so what about this specifically makes you think variscite vs turquoise? I am curious since I haven’t seen as much variscite IRL (have googled a lot though). I do have have one ring which I learned from this site is very possibly chalcosiderite or damele, but it looks completely different than this.

Also kinda has the look of turquoise that has darkened. But then again I know little about variscite!

2 Likes

It’s that green, the sort of straw colored matrix and high-gloss polish, imo. Stuff that’s had color change usually has more of a matte finish, I think. Just a guess tho! Here’s one:
ERBA1-2

2 Likes

When I first saw the post I immediately thought a piece of Pilot Mountain, then went to get a few examples online. They look very similar, I think of that host rock being a characteristic of Pilot.

3 Likes

I see what you’re saying, but I don’t really think Chris’s stone looks very glossy. I have a number of pieces with natural stones that have changed color through the years and they have a similar finish to hers. And I thought a stone with a very glossy finish just meant it was a harder stone and took a polish better. Does variscite always have a high shine?

Also to me the host rock just has a different shape to it than what I’ve seen in variscite, but then I’ve hardly seen any variscite except in pictures. It just seems really hard to tell the difference!! :scream:

1 Like

get a few pipecleaners & DIY…way cheaper & no damage

2 Likes

Looks like turquoise to me as well. There’s so much variation in stone polish that one type vs. another isn’t definitive in looking at vintage turquoise. The matrix is a better tell.

2 Likes

I never thought about using pipe cleaners. But, I have these wonderful things. I wrapped it all the way around. It works for now, but is still a bit loose.
It kinda bugs me when my rings are loose. I am pretty sure it was meant for a man.

2 Likes

The matrix is what I found to be unusual. I have never seen any thing like it. There seems to be no feathering or lines coming off of it.

1 Like

I would like to see your stone Ziacat!

1 Like

sigh…folks seem determined to “gender-ize” everything,don’t they? I simply prefer what suits my tastes so most rings are too big.
tried a few sizing corrections (including simply putting a plain band that fit IN a too big 'un) but settled on pipecleaners cuz they’re cheap,easy & work.
btw,rings don’t have to be only on “ring” fingers. have one that’s settled in on my left thumb

1 Like

Bought this years ago from Joe Tanner. He had just cleared out a retail store where the owners had passed. Amongst the stuff I bought was this ring which matched a squash blossom. Joe called them green Bisbee. The squash is gone but I remembered I still had the ring somewhere. Has a lot of quartz and pyrite in it, but the blossom stones were the same even colour throughout which leads me to believe it hasn’t changed from original. This is 60-70’s stuff, as you can see from the ring.

3 Likes

Doesn’t bother me in the least. I wear what I want. But my husband certainly in general would prefer his things to look different than what a lot of women would want. Sorry if that annoys you, but fact is many men and women often have differences in what they like. There are a lot of "men’s " rings that I would wear, but are too big. So I find something else; no big deal.

3 Likes

So the color of the host rock is very different from yours and the stone is a darker green, but it was the shape of the rock/matrix that really made me think of yours.[Processing: IMG_20220402_084504187.jpg…

The native artist said it’s definitely natural turquoise, but couldn’t remember if it was from NV or NM.

Your ring is beautiful!

Oops didn’t attach …trying again

2 Likes