Old Buckle. Help with I.D. of Turquoise, Age, & Value Very Appreciated

I bought this & did what I knew not to, polished her up. My reasons? No plans on selling, I wear it. As well as she was pitch black with tarnish.
I have no clue what the stone is, any idea on the turquoise is wonderful. I live in a very politically correct City, so we don’t see lots of whirling logs for sale. Sadly, people are extremely ignorant on the subject. Very thin, my guess is coin silver.
No Hallmarks or marks at all. Any thoughts on age & value are also helpful. I’ve been told they don’t sell well, because of the whirling log symbol, many have been melted, etc. I am unsure if that is true. As always, much Thanks for your time.

Thanks for sharing. We have seen a resurgence in the popularity of whirling log jewelry. Many Navajo artists stopped using the symbol after WWII because of the use of the symbol in the Nazi party. Your buckle has age, but I don’t believe it is a pre-1940s piece. You could call the piece of turquoise Castle Dome.

When we hear the term coin silver it doesn’t translate to light. It refers to the type of silver that was used to melt into an ingot. When we hear coin silver we generally translate that into hammered silver. Perry Shorty is famous for using coin silver for many of his pieces. If you have ever held a Perry Shorty coin silver concho the first thing you notice is the heavy weight.

Some collectors really like to find jewelry with the whirling log symbol. If we had this buckle I imagine it would be around $120 - $150.

1 Like

Thanks again Jason. It is a rather odd, lightweight buckle. I am grateful for the info, especially on the Turquoise and coin silver.