Old pawn?

I want to visit this pawn shop.

9 Likes

I’ve seen that photo before. Which book is it in?

It’s a magazine. I found it at an estate sale and have been enjoying looking through it. 1966 is the publish date.

3 Likes

There still are trading posts with (almost) that array of pawn up in the Four Corners area. It blew my mind to see it.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s it! I own the book. I agree, it is a very enjoyable read. Thanks!

1 Like

What’s interesting about that photo is most of the cuffs are cluster style and the necklaces are jaclas. Not sure if the pawn shop organized their inventory by style or if cluster cuffs and jaclas are more popular with the Navajo.

2 Likes

@Tah Also concho belts. I think it accurately depicts what Navajo, Zuni, and Pueblo people actually owned and wore (this is a vintage photo) and therefore would have pawned.

3 Likes

Another vintage photo from Arizona Highways, March 1975. More cluster cuffs.

5 Likes

Not a pawn shop, but a place I would love to go back in time to visit.

Russell Foutz Indian Room, Farmington, NM, 1974

4 Likes

Bruce Bernard Trading Post, Shiprock, NM, 1954

4 Likes

Gallup pawn shops still look the same today, just updated tickets.

6 Likes

That’s amazing y’all! I had no idea. I too would love to visit the rug shop!

Thanks for sharing all the wonderful pictures!

Oh my …it’s even hanging from the ceiling!
Pawn shops around my way just have weed wackers and Xbox! :tired_face:

5 Likes

Ones here, too. Never anything like this. Old CDs and tools.

3 Likes

We have quite a few trading posts and pawn shops in the four corners. I live in Cortez, CO and there are two trading posts within city limits. Foutz Trading Post is right by Shiprock, NM. Their family also owns Fifth Generation in Farmington, NM, and Shiprock Santa Fe in Santa Fe on the Plaza. Foutz doesn’t have old pawn anymore, but Shiprock Santa Fe has an amazing collection of old pawn and antique weavings - WAY inside my tastes and WAY outside my budget.

5 Likes