One that got away FOUND ME!

My dreamgirl is here. Some of you know I posted ones like this in the One That Got Away Thread. Only a very few were ever made, and I hadn’t seen this particular one before. Presenting my Harry H. Begay vintage heart ring in spiny oyster! (Excuse my dry hand lol). About 2" high.

23 Likes

Beautiful ring chicfarmer, Congrats on finding it :grinning:

2 Likes

Yay, you found it (or it found you :laughing:)!! Love it!

4 Likes

Congrats, chicfarmer! I remember your post from the other thread. Care to share how you found it. I’m always curious how folks find their special pieces.

4 Likes

Thanks, you all. For a long time I’d periodically browse the websites to see if one had surfaced, very randomly and as mood struck. Then, one day (recently) the clouds parted and the sun shone through, and there it was right online with days ahead before the listing was to end. :grin: I was totally committed to winning and it just shook out in my favor. Ta DAH!

Can I be tedious and point out the interesting coloration and pattern in the spiny oyster?

It’s hard to put in words why one piece just becomes so riveting. In this case, I just love HHB’s work and have for years, and the elongated heart just…snared me.

9 Likes

I also really like the band. I always like a thicker band (especially for rings I wear on my right hand), because I often flatten them by accident. But it’s extra nice when it is decorated, not just plain.

3 Likes

Just curious, how will you wear it? With the heart facing you or away from facing you? I adore hearts jewelry and the pattern on your ring is quite lovely :grinning:

2 Likes

I adore hearts too and expect to wear it with the pointy end away from me, but I’ll experiment! I’m interested in heart shapes appearing in Navajo work. Did they sneak in from Mexican/rodeo decoration? They seem to show up roughly 30s-40s in silver, perhaps. and make me think of the great Jo Mora artwork for the Sweetheart of the Rodeo, picked up by the Byrds in one of the greatest albums ever. Now I must go down that rabbit hole.

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 3.24.12 PM

5 Likes

That is so interesting to me. Very cool :smiley: It makes me think of chakra, which way the point faces directs the flow. So you are sharing the flow of energy with others, if that makes sense :grinning:

2 Likes

Awesome find @chicfarmer . Congrats on finding a long sought after treasure.

2 Likes

usually the design is worn so the wearer sees it “right side up”. like,so the owner can glance down & admire their own moccasins.
my bear rings always are feet toward my hand,pawprints toward my body,peyote bird rising…

2 Likes

I go back and forth. Sometimes towards me, sometimes not. I can see the design either way …

2 Likes

So pretty! The orange color is just divine!

2 Likes

Congratulations on finding your treasured piece @chicfarmer ! I remember your post and was scouring hard at flea markets in search of. It was meant to be! :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Sometimes the stars do align! Congratulations! What a beautiful stone; the striation and color are stunning.

2 Likes

Oh yay! @chicfarmer you found it!! I’m so happy for you. I’ve been keeping my eye out for you too but without success. It’s such an amazing thing when you find one that got away, or that you’ve seen elsewhere and lusted after. It’s beautiful, congrats! I love the orange spiny and the great striations.

Love Sweetheart of the Rodeo and the Byrds’ Gram Parsons phase btw, as well as his solo albums.

4 Likes

emmylou harris …

:yum:

2 Likes

@OrbitOrange, @StevesTrail, @CyanideRose18, @Greenrock and all, thank you. It’s a pleasure to share with my buddies here who get the passion!

6 Likes

Not to get too off topic, but I’m enjoying the courtyard of the Joshua Tree Inn right now. Memorial to Gram Parsons on the left, outside room 8 where he died.

7 Likes

Gone too soon!!! Then I need 20 characters to make this post.

1 Like