Other Indian Art?

Curious, what other Indian art do you Turquoise People collect or is your interest mostly on jewelry?

Personally, I have an affinity for modern Hopi Kachina dolls. We have a small collection of four. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I like to go on hikes during my free time on base at Fort Hood. I noticed lots of rocks that look like they had been intentionally broken. When I looked closer I started finding arrowheads and hand tools.

Additionally, I am really fond of pottery shards. I know the taboo surrounding them. But I find them at swap meets and antique stores and I feel compelled to save them.

6 Likes

contemporary pottery

2 Likes

I also have arrowheads, a couple of stone tools, some pewter figurines depicting Native American scenes. For example, a little boy with a foal, a man salmon fishing, another of a man holding an eagle by the leg etc. was also lucky enough to stumble across two Lalique pieces at an estate sale. One is a Buffalo they did in the 70’s and the other is a deer, buck.
Basically I’m a crow: if it catches my eye it usually comes home with me and takes up permanent residence! :wink:

6 Likes

I just have this Navajo rug I picked up at Richardson’s in Gallup. Someday (maybe) I’ll get my Maria Martinez black on black plate with the feather/knife design. Otherwise I’ll probably be focusing on jewelry.

6 Likes

Jewelry, rugs, more pottery than anything. one lone Kachina, a few baskets, lots of books on NA pottery and weaving. We also have become the family repository of a large number of potsherds. They accent the cabinet i keep our pottery in. Husband was really into sgraffito for a while, i have an affinity for Dorothy & Paul Gutierrez animal figures. We have a few odds and ends, fetishes, arrowheads, and one cool honking axe head that i swear is made from a meterorite.

We had to sell a few of our best pieces about 15 years ago when we ran into some financial difficulty. I still kick myself for selling a Maria finger pot with beautiful gunmetal coloring, and another little feather pot by Maria & Popovi. My husband was fortunate to work several years in a trading post his family owned, and he was able to collect and learn from some amazing artists when he was younger (30+ years ago). He has a lot of emotional and nostalgic connection to the pieces he collected in those days, many of them bought directly from the artists themselves. I only know just enough to know what i like, and my favorite color is blue. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have collected Navajo rugs, pottery (hopi, Navajo, acoma, San ildefonso and probably some others) jewelry, and some PNW carvings.

It is probably easier to say what I have not collected like beadwork and kachina dolls.

4 Likes

@Michael-CA Can I PM you about an Acoma piece I just bought? I’m kind of a pottery novice

1 Like

I’m partial to arrowheads and carvings. The arrowheads and tools in this photo were inherited from my father in-law, origin unknown and the eagle carving was a gift from the lady I bought the modern medicine bag from, and belonged to her grandmother. I have other arrowheads and obsidian tools picked up hiking in the mountains over the years that would be Paiute but are packed away somewhere, darn it.

4 Likes

While I’m sitting and waiting for some soup to cook (winter makes me want soup), I read some old posts. I thought I’d revive this one cause it’s interesting. Hope some others add on!

I was thinking mostly I collected jewelry, but then I started looking around. We’ve got numerous Navajo rugs, pottery (Santo Domingo, Zia, Santa Clara, Jemez, Taos, Incan, and Cherokee), one smallish painted drum (Shoshone/Bannock), and one Navajo basket. We also have some Native Canadian (not sure if that’s the proper term?) art. I’ve probably spent more time in Canada than anywhere else other than my home state of IN. We went to Ontario either NW or NE of Sault St Marie every summer for about the first 20 years of my life, and my husband and I have traveled all over Canada (some of the stuff we inherited from my mom). So we have two porcupine quill baskets, some small prints, a number of Inuit carvings, some random carvings, and coolest of all, this steel raven wall piece. We found it in a little native owned shop in Tofino, Vancouver Island. It was one long straight piece, and they told us just to bend it to fit a corner.

Also have some cool arrowheads from my dad, but don’t know where he got them all.
Oh, and one worn, cool, moose antler - it’s native to Nova Scotia!

5 Likes

I have some other things. These are tortoise shell leggings the ladies wear for the Cherokee/Creek Stomp Dances. And a video of a guy named David Crawler who still makes them!

4 Likes

What I know most about and collect are contemporary NA paintings, followed by a small but nice pottery collection. I could go bananas in pottery. I’ve admired the rugs for years but have only two, a Yei rug and a Two Grey Hills. And several kachinas.

Edit: Oh! I forgot our massive Zuni fetish collection…really kinda nuts.

4 Likes

I have a few paintings also, I’ll have to dig out some pictures. This is my biggest and probably oldest, an unsigned oil on canvas. Probably not a Native American artist but I like the subject matter. Excuse my lack of dusting.

5 Likes

Do I see bow and arrows peeking out? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh I agree about going bananas. We have no more wall space, shelf space, tabletop space, etc, etc. Hubby says (making a little megaphone with his fingers), “put down the picture, (pottery, rug, whatever) and slowly back away…” But I did still talk him into the Two Grey Hills rug last summer.

My mom had a nice Yei rug, but the German Shepherd CHEWED the ends up (and chewed the nose of a bear rug we had). We still sold it at auction for a good price after she died - the rug not the dog :laughing:

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool; thanks for sharing! I realize I don’t know much about the Cherokees, or any of the southern tribes. I know quite a bit about the southwestern Native nations, and some about those to the north. But not enough about those that lived in my own state, IN. My husband has read quite a bit though.

We have been to the Smokies a lot, and last time went to a nice little native craft shop in Cherokee, NC. A local native artist, an older gentleman, was making jewelry on their patio; I bought a nice little cuff from him.

2 Likes

Beautiful!

Don’t look closely at my ravens, too high to dust…:grin:

3 Likes

Yes, but the two arrows do not have arrowheads affixed to them.

I’m just learning about much of this myself. Mostly in the last 4 or 5 years.

A couple more paintings by E. Joshua Jr.

5 Likes

Have any of you ever seen anything like this bag, it was with the basketry things that I received. I’m just starting to try to figure it out. I’m assuming from the southeast also, same as the most of the baskets.

1 Like

I think I have it’s partner by J Crew in my closet :sweat_smile:

Seriously, that’s interesting, and I like the colors. What is it made of?

1 Like