Other Indian Art?

Another picture! I bought this frame with another picture in it for $10 at an estate sale. I was able to simply remove the existing picture and replace it with this one by Danny Russell Kaler which had been still wrapped in the plastic wrap that it was sold in. I thought it came out pretty good.

6 Likes

Looks great, and I love that frame. Was the matting in the frame, or was that with the print? We have a whole bunch of WPA National Park posters which have to be custom framed because of their non standard size. So I have fun picking different frames and mats.

1 Like

While we’re waiting for Maggie to tell us more about her Northwest Coast connection, I’ll share this story.

In 1993, my beautiful bride and I purchased our first piece of Indian art on our wedding trip to Alaska. This 2 ft. totem by Rick Williams, Coastal Salish, is our only piece of NWC art. It is made of yellow cedar. The figures from top to bottom are: Bear, Wolf, Beaver, Frog. It was all we could afford at the time, but we knew we wanted a totem, so we put all of our money into one piece. Needless to say, it’s special. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

@Tah That is absolutely stunning.

I have no depth in NW Coast art but I have a little story. It was my task one year to guard a rare and valuable Chilkat blanket woven by master weaver Jennie Thlunaut, who revived what was by then a dying art form. Of course, I also got to meet Ms. Thlunaut. My job was babysitting the robe, with another colleague, while she received a major award in DC for her artistry. I was associated with the organization giving out the awards and was a volunteer for a number of years, doing everything from airport runs to pick up artists to general hospitality. I only feel sorry I didn’t have a richer appreciation for this important art at that time.

5 Likes

Thanks @chicfarmer! That’s one heck of a story, experience, and honor. I can only imagine the blanket’s beauty.

2 Likes

No masks or totems - not really in my budget. I have jewelry and framed art. Mom has a gorgeous Raven bowl that she bought when I was a kid up in British Columbia, my sisters have jewelry pieces as well. I do have a few small Inuit carvings from our grandmother.

2 Likes

Yes, I live in the Willamette Valley area in Oregon. We spent many years vacationing up in Gulf and San Juan Islands, so our exposure to First Nations art started pretty young.

1 Like

Yes, the narrow black matting as well as the washed looking matting were around the original picture in the frame. I couldn’t believe I got it for $10.

3 Likes

@TAH your totem is amazing, as is the old corbelled shelf you have it on!

1 Like

That’s a great deal cause framing is expensive. Here is my favorite frame that matches the pic, but it wasn’t 10.00!

7 Likes

Such a beautiful area.
My first exposure to Native art was definitely my time in Ontario.

3 Likes

Thanks Jeff! That shelf was hand-carved by a family friend, who has since passed on. It was made specifically for the totem.

2 Likes

A few pieces of my North Coast jewelry ~

7 Likes

It’s beautiful! Love the cuff especially. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I sorta cut off the cuff a little - here’s a little better angle

6 Likes

going north east…spotted paul st. john,mohawk artist today.
ebay will show you his “crow speaks” bag among other items

1 Like

I saw a couple of Bill Reid Haida items at auction. I was too scared to bid…but if they were authentic, someone made out with a lot of money.

1 Like

I have an eclectic variety of items. Created an entire Native American room in my bonus room over the garage for my collection that does not not include my jewelry.

2 Likes

Love that poster–so cool! And the frame is perfection.

1 Like

Thank you! Got the poster at Saguaro National Park visitor center. I can’t take credit for the frame; hubby picked it out.

2 Likes