Overlay ring...a gift from an old friend

I just wanted to share this.
A few days ago, a very dear friend gave me this ring.
He did not say where he got it, but probably a thrift store or flea market.
I really like it, and I think it is Navajo, not Hopi.
What do you guys think?

8 Likes

I think it is cute. I’ve seen that hallmark a few times on jewelry items…but it is unidentified on this site.

@Stracci That’s a very nice gift! I agree that it’s likely Navajo and not Hopi. A while ago, I read on Garland’s web site that Hopi overlay will have a fine texture etched into the base layer. In Navajo overlay, the base layer silver is left smooth. I’ve been using this as a guide while researching overlay jewelry to purchase.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree.
The lack of tool marks in the blackened area make me think Navajo.

1 Like

Well…This has the same unknown hallmark that I call the fuzzy jellyfish, WITH the finely textured base layer! Bought from the “vintage section” at The Palms Trading Co. in Albuquerque in January of 2022! This lives in my pocket everyday!

6 Likes

Hey, I have the same vintage Leatherman. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I love my little Leatherman Micra! I have gifted a few! :gift_heart: Some years ago I found them at a Walmart for 14.95 and bought 5 of them! The blade is like a scalpel when they are new! That’s what sold me!

2 Likes

Cool ring! I would agree it’s Navajo not Hopi.

1 Like

Thanks @AC! So the same maker, I’m sure.
I have a crazy idea. Since I drive by Palms once a week, maybe I’ll pop in ask them if they recognize the mark.
Would they think I’m weird?

3 Likes

It’s worth a try! There has been a fairly in-depth discussion about this Hallmark on Facebook! No one seems to know who it belongs to!

1 Like

Please let us know what you find out! Maybe fuzzy jellyfish has a name…

It also kind of reminds me of one of those little bugs that roll up in a ball, pill bugs?

2 Likes