Please Help With Rug

I was so helped here with two Navajo rugs I purchased in the 1980’s. Hope rugs are still allowed here.
Am asking for some help on this one.

My best friend used it to wrap a pool cue she gave me yesterday.
She is getting rid of many things.
In the 1970’s/80’s she lived and worked in Arizona. Frequented Trading Posts there. Has many vintage, beautiful pieces of jewelry, pottery and rugs.

The rug is about 4’ 6” long.
It has a single Warp thread on the edges. The warp appears to be wool, as does the weft.
The strange thing is the bamboo pole that was threaded through it for hanging.
I wonder if someone removed some warp yarn to make room for the pole.

I understand that very few Navajo rugs have fringe.

Is this Mexican or Navajo? I am seeing Mexican.
Anyone recognize the pattern?

Thank you

5 Likes

Mexican. It’s the image of Chichen Itza or perhaps a different Mayan temple.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichen_Itza

7 Likes

Thanks. I appreciate your expertise.

2 Likes

Totally agree with chicfarmer. That’s prob Chichen Itza, I’ve been there, and went up it (when they used to allow it). I really like the design of this rug. I believe it’s Mexican.

5 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: My one puzzle is that the fringe is long and tied, and is the colored warp threads matching the stripes, and I’m not familiar enough with Mexican weaving to know if this relates to a specific weaving community. Fringe is always a big tell on rug origin. Pretty rug!

4 Likes

I like it, too. Plus, it goes with the colors in my bedroom.

2 Likes

That’s right. Maybe it’s a rug made somewhere else in South America? I might have to do some googling later :grin:

2 Likes

We’ve got a couple Mexican rugs that have quite long fringe, and the one had some ties towards the top of the fringe. Unfortunately the cat destroyed it so I can’t show you.

2 Likes

I’m glad you said that about the fringe being unique to the different regions. I just looked at our other Mexican rug bought in Cancun, and it’s fringe is tied off differently than the one that the cat played with, and fernwood’s. I don’t know where the other one’s from because we bought it in Wyoming, but it was a Mexican rug.

And it’s really not my cat’s fault; we had it on the floor and she couldn’t stand not playing with the fringe. I didn’t want her to swallow it, so I cut all the fringe off. It was looking rather worn anyway.

My phone keeps insisting on capitalizing Fringe :flushed:

3 Likes

Just talked with my friend. She has the name of the person who made it somewhere in her notes.
It is not from Mexico, but further South.
She is going to try to find the notebook with info.

3 Likes

I definitely had some questions about the origin because of technique…I was mostly just certain it wasn’t Navajo. Looking forward to hearing more!

2 Likes

I have seen that style on south American weaving tink you already knew that it’s always nice when a rug really ties the room together😉

2 Likes

Here are the two Mexican blankets we bought in Cancun on our honeymoon (1996). Tourist quality and the fringes aren’t tied off, so I have mostly quit using them so they don’t continue to unravel. They’re fairly warm, though.

4 Likes

You mean like this? :grin:

I’m glad I got to see it when you could climb it! But I remember thinking how this would never work in the U.S…there were no safety features, rails, or anything other than that chain you held onto as you climbed those very narrow steps. If you fell off, you fell off and that was on you.

The two pics below are me (center, climbing up the steps) and my husband sitting on the corner at the top.

Not sure what has ensued since these photos were taken in 1996, but notice how the pyramid was restored on one side but still in a state of partial ruination on the other side.

5 Likes

Yes, yes! Exactly like that!! It was pretty dicey going up. We were there on our honeymoon in '92. What an amazing place. I remember our tour bus stopped on the side of the road to help someone with car trouble. That made me a little nervous then, but it would freak me out now!

We bought this rug in Cancun.

2 Likes

It was even more dicey going down, ha. I went down backwards…reverse climbing. :smiley:

Your rug is lovely!! Fish…is that what the design is?

1 Like

Yep, fish, thanks! I like yours also.

Down was worse. Funny though, when I hiked Angel’s Landing in Zion, down was way better. I think I was giddy that I hadn’t already fallen off and died, so it felt like a piece of cake going down :laughing:

2 Likes

I was there in 86. We rented a jeep and drove there. Wouldn’t do that now!

2 Likes