Please look this over. Is it worth $500 in its condition

Some of the “dark marks” you’re concerned about seem to be matrix and natural inclusions in the stone. As for others, I wish the fit of the inlay pieces was tighter, but that will vary by the artist. I don’t think this artist is going for the “look” achieved by the old-time inlay masters, in which you can run your finger across the surface and hardly feel where the pieces are joined. This has a modern feeling.

Do you love it, or are you purchasing as an investment? Is the seller providing any kind of guarantee? A good shop will give you a guarantee – unless this is not a shop.

I’d want Jason or others who are expert on stones to weigh in here on the central cabochon. (Is that Chinese?)

Hi Saef, I added the sellers description of the piece advertised as Navajo vintage. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!!

I keep looking at this. The second photo is the one that is raising questions. After all, I’ve decided I can’t tell if the artist did not fit the segments together tightly or if they were disturbed from the original placement.

This could have happened for two different reasons. You wouldn’t want to drop this on a hard surface. (I always put on & take off my jewelry while leaning over a bed, BTW, which has cushioned many falls when something slipped from my hands.) But usually the issue with bracelets is someone squeezing or pulling at them to fit.

I don’t recognize the hallmark. I can’t tell if it’s a bow, a stylized “D” or a person leaping in the air with their spine arched.

Here’s my advice: I have only bought cuffs with inlay issues because the photographs weren’t that great on an online venue – or because of wishful thinking, when I loved the design. But they always bother me afterward, particularly when I clean them or wear them.

That’s why I’m asking how much you love it,

Sometimes you have to have faith that other great jewelry will come along if you let go of a piece that you are not 100% sure of. I’m starting to feel that way when I lose an auction or love something but it’s priced too high or is slightly damaged … that most of the time, I will see something two or three weeks later that is also great.

3 Likes

Thank you for some very great heart felt advice. I guess I loved it because it was so unique and different than most. However, the possibility that the big stone could be Chinese and it being advertised as Navajo vintage throws me off. While the seller most always lists the maker on all her jewelry for sale she only showed the maker mark on this one which I can’t figure out either.

That response would worry me a bit. In this industry, sellers should always be catering to the customer, and answering every type of question. I think the price is a bit high, especially since the main stone looks like it could be Chinese. I would also be worried when a company offers to “authenticate” their own items. It just sounds a bit silly, to authenticate something you sell. Because, why would it be something other than what it’s being advertised as? Just be cautious is all I’m saying!

Well the company is called - Posh. That’s the company. And if a seller on the site sells something over 500 whether it be jewelry or a purse they have to send it into the main company and not directly to the customer. It’s called customer protection. & they inspect it to make sure the customer isn’t getting taken advantage. When she said that to me, I walked away for a couple months. I have bought several things from her in the past. But on this particular piece I questioned it a lot because for one it’s expensive. & 2 I didn’t want to pay a lot for something that showed a makers mark but didn’t list anything about it and the #8 stone she’s referring to #8 mine looked so different than the rest. That’s why before I made a final decision I wanted some more feedback from others with knowledge. I’m so glad I found this site :blush:Thank you

Oh okay, well then that makes more sense, in reference to the authentication part. But with my limited knowledge of Posh, do they have an on-call Native American jewelry expert/ authenticator? I know they originally were for clothing & shoes and such.

still, I would be worried. It is a modern piece, and I think I would be more comfortable around the $400 range, if that. There was a lot of work put into cutting the stones, but the inlay work looks like it could have been executed more cleanly.

Thank you for your knowledge and info. I am assuming they don’t have a Native American expert. Unless something has changed since a lot of people sell it on that site. She had it close to 700 at one time. Like 675. Now it’s 559 and offered it at 510 and stating it’s vintage. But after reading on here I’m not at all sure it’s vintage and although I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with Chinese Turquoise, there is, if it’s being represented as Native American. Did you see my post of Thunderbird cuff from s friend of mine? I haven’t had any feedback yet but I just posted it today. Thank you so much!! I doubt she would take $400 so I’m going to let that piece go.

I just wrote to Posh to ask specifically about a Native American authentication expert. I didn’t see it any where under their FAQ. And many people spending hundreds on such pieces are relying on the fact that they do offer. When reading FAQ it says luxury items. It does not mention Native American.

Looking at the top of the main stone (oval), where it’s black, it looks like it’s badly chipped! It looks separated to the right of the stone, at the top, as well.

I agree with Bigbree43… If you ask a question about an item for sale online, they should be more than happy to answer it! I would be questioning their integrity because they accused you of questioning their integrity! “yes I know who it is…”, but I won’t tell you? Hmm… excuse me, wrong place. (they got that part right!)

1 Like

Thank you Pete!! Totally agree with all of you! So glad I found this site

unfortunately, “vintage” means absolutely nothing, as does “old pawn” anymore. Unless, the unredeemed pawn tag is part of the purchase. And what is “old”? Old to a new buyer might be 10 years old…to me, contemporary is anything produced after I started purchasing,early 1970s. My oldest piece is one my father acquired, a tourist piece in 1939. I had a running battle with an ebay seller that kept listing items as “Lander Blue” produced prior to the discovery of that particular mine.

2 Likes

I’ve run into this problem with sellers claiming their stuff is Bisbee… “Early Fred Harvey 1950’s Bisbee Turquoise Cuff.”

Uhmmmmmm… yeah Bisbee mine opened in the seventies so…

1 Like

That ‘Fred Harvey Era’ thing boggles my mind!
He died in 1901 & is most famous for ‘Harvey Houses’ & ‘Harvey Girls’… sounds like ‘Hooters’ on a train to me, but what do I know?
Except, now I know what shirred eggs are!!
& yes, I know Native Americans started selling their wares then, but that was the late 1800’s… not 1950!
Sigh…

education, education education! Of course was it Taos House on the rim of the Grand Canyon (?), employed Navajo silversmiths, making jewelry…however Charles Loloma spent some time in their employment, wearing his hair as a traditional Navajo.