Pyrite webbed turquoise pendant

This is a new find. It is unmarked but has a Teddy Goodluck look to me. The turquoise is what made me buy the pendant. I think it’s probably Morenci and I found the pyrite webbing totally intriguing.
The silver got more polished than usual because there were two black spots that looked like gouges. Under my loupe I could see that they were discolorations so I polished them out. Anyhow, the point of this post is to find out 1) if this is really Morenci 2) does the patterning in the stone make it more valuable 3) what is an approximate value. The pendant weighs 34.5 grams and is 1 7/8” by 2 3/4”.

5 Likes

That is some beautiful turquoise. I’m curious to find out if this Morenci too. I’m thinking yes. I have a Jacala that is this same color but the pyrite isn’t as interesting as yours.

1 Like

Rebecca Goodluck (Teddy’s wife) works with me. She confirmed this is one of Teddy’s. That is more likely a Kingman Turquoise stone, which has pyrite and quartz. This is a nice rock, maybe something like $1.50 a carat rock. The piece looks huge. I couldn’t anything like this, the closest is this pair of earrings which sells for $195. I think of yours as $275 - $350.

1 Like

Thanks for the wonderful news. I’m so happy that it’s been verified to be Teddy’s work. I have several other pieces of his and this is by far the biggest. I also bought a ring of his in the same auction and the hallmark is worn halfway off. I think they were well loved before they came to me.
I wasn’t expecting you to say Kingman but it really doesn’t make any difference to me. It looks great with the Morenci cuffs I’ve been wearing it with. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Jason would you lean towards Kingman due to amount of quartz in the stone? What would the clues be? Thanks

1 Like

I have included some pictures. One group is all Kingman, tried to get rocks that looked close to this stone. The two big stones are pieces of Morenci, didn’t have a bunch to choose from. Little things like the color, the matrix. Not a bunch of difference when you put them all in a cluster. Also, what is more likely, Kingman very common and looks like this or Morenci much less common.

2 Likes

Jason, thanks so much for that visual explanation. It really helps!

1 Like

Really beautiful stone and silverwork! Thanks for the closeup shots. Now how about a modeling shot to show scale?:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like