Question for the Rockhounds

One of my estate finds, so I know nothing about it except what I see.
The stone is fabulous! I’m thinking some sort of Jasper, but I’m no expert, so would appreciate your thoughts. The Ring has an interesting mark as well. Next to the 925 it’s marked Obsidian. I don’t know what to make of that having never seen it before and I find nothing online to match it.
Thoughts? Thanks in Advance!
Becky

1 Like

First thing that occurred to me was that it was a shop hallmark: just as we wouldn’t find a ring stamped (hallmarked) Turquoise on the shank, it seemed unlikely to be about the set stone. So: Google informs me that there’s a jewelry company called Obsidian that specializes in setting unusual stones, and perhaps there have been other companies with that name.

5 Likes

Wow! Thanks so much for the link! I never saw that…probably because the word obsidian brought up so many results. Looks like they use all kinds of stones. I did see one photo with a bunch of different jaspers, but I haven’t found any jasper that looks like this one.
I appreciate your help!
Becky

2 Likes

It’s a beautiful stone. I had a ring once with a very similar stone, and I do think it was some kind of jasper. But for the life of me, I can’t remember what it was, and the stone fell out and I lost it.

1 Like

I did see one similar stone in their gallery, but it was with a group of a bunch of different stones and not identified. I’m thinking it might be picture jasper, but an unusual one.
Becky

1 Like

Oh, so sad to lose a favorite! I had one pair of earrings that I truly loved and lost one of them gardening. Never found anything I loved as much!
Becky

2 Likes

It even was in a setting like yours, but different artist, Charles Albert I think. Bought it in Northern MI. I’ll have to see if I still have the receipt somewhere that says what it was.

1 Like

Oh, that would be super helpful, but please don’t put yourself out if it’s not easy to find.
I appreciate you!
Becky

2 Likes

My first thought was pietersite

1 Like

honestly my first thought was petrified wood - i’ve seen some really amazing color combinations and a blue like this wouldn’t surprise me. neat ring!

1 Like

I can see why. The wispy clouds are definitely there, and the mix of browns in the matrix. The only thing that I don’t see in this stone is chatoyancy. Definitely going to keep it on the table as a possible though! Thanks! I’d never heard of it before!
Becky

2 Likes

That’s a type of Jasper, correct?

1 Like

Unfortunately I must have thrown the tag away when I lost the stone, but pretty sure it was something like ocean jasper. Not saying that’s what yours is, but it looks a lot like I remember what mine was. But then memory is often not accurate! I have another of his that’s also jasper, but doesn’t look like yours.

1 Like

Thanks! Interesting thought! I looked at some Google images and didn’t see any blues this shade with the white wisps. I think Stracci may have nailed it. It is a distinctive shade of blue.
Becky

1 Like

I’m going to retract the blue part. Looking more, there are a million shades of blue in pietersite…not just the shade I have. The matrix and the wispy clouds are the two characteristics that look right for it.
Becky

1 Like

Oops, my bad. I just looked on his website, and it jogged my memory. My ring was Aztec Lapis. So my memory didn’t serve me well after all…still seems like I remember it looking like yours, but :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Looks like your memory is VERY good because I’m pretty sure that’s what this is now that I’ve seen some examples! Nice work!
Becky

2 Likes

And look what it says on this one site. Aztec Lapis

Hardness**: 6 to 7**

A variety of Jasper found in Mexico.

1 Like

Well, yay! Glad I had time to try to remember, off work today. I loved that ring :weary: I stopped buying his stuff cause I mostly buy Native American.

1 Like

He has a ring on his website that looks very similar…obviously the same stone.
I appreciate you for leading me in that direction!
Becky

1 Like