R.Nessie mark

Good day i have a pendant marked R.Nessie. apparently they are navajo. I can not find the mark or any info about this piece or its maker any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

A quick search resulted in over 12 items for sale or sold with the same mark. What info are you looking for?

Any history to rhe designer well known unknown. I found a few items with the name on but really nothing about them. Age,man,woman,etc.

I’m sorry but isn’t Nessie Scottish???

Sorry :grin:

Not sorry :grimacing:

1 Like

I haven’t stopped thinking about this one. Nessie is not a name I am familiar with and I always get suspicious with the style of work you see associated with this name on google search. However, the craftsmanship is nice and it is definitely handmade. So, I am going to throw out a theory that makes sense for me. Most of the work you find on the search is 14k gold and most likely done in a manufacturing house, the R. Nessie is the inlayer. The shop most likely has the hallmarks made for the piece and lapidary workers. You will find that a Navajo last name Nezzie exist, maybe this shop made a mistake with the hallmark stamp. If you could find some artist Nezzie through social media and ask if they know of a R. Nezzie who is an inlayer.

Your theory makes a lot of sence. I too noticed that most if not all were in gold. And i have never seen a surname of Nessie.
Thank you so much for your theory which makes sence.

Interesting i found this picture.
R Nessie Navajo at the heard Museum.

I got this information from Roland Long. He says this artist is Zuni, thinks the first name is Robert and has some type of working relationship with Navajo artist Raymond Yazzie.

Interesting. The heard do have the name R Nessie and navajo but as always no response from the heard when i inquire. Makes you wonder what the heard is all about? .
Thanks for your help. Appreciated.

@Amber1 The Heard is all about being among the greatest Native American museums in the world. If you didn’t get a response, perhaps you emailed the wrong party, or perhaps the email didn’t get seen or went to spam. They also have contact phone numbers, but I’m sure that staff time is pretty tight especially these days, as in all museums.

I don’t see them prioritizing random inquiries from the public at this moment.

I fully agree and i too love that museum and hopefully oneday will go back to visit.